Assistant Director of Editorial Content and News
Working under the general direction of the Senior Director of Media Relations, the Assistant Director of Editorial Content and News develops and implements a news content strategy supporting enterprise-level strategic goals. The incumbent assists in leading planning and content meetings, creates and edits content for multiple digital platforms, oversees and updates the SJSU style guide, conveys strategic insights informing the design and production of news projects, and collaborates with the marketing team on content for campus-wide e-newsletters, ensuring timely completion and adherence to strategic goals. The Assistant Director of Editorial Content and News will create a broad range of content in support of the university’s academic endeavor, including news stories, features and profiles, with an emphasis on the Lucas College and Graduate School of Business, College of Health and Human Sciences, and the College of Graduate Studies. This news content will be used to engage key university stakeholders, including alumni, donors, legislators, faculty, staff, students and others. The incumbent is a key member of the unit’s leadership structure, managing staff writers, and working collaboratively with the Strategic Communications and Marketing team. As directed by the Senior Director of Media Relations, the incumbent may support a range of enterprise-level strategic communication and marketing priorities.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Proactively reach out and collaborate with campus leaders, faculty, staff and other colleagues to stay abreast of the latest SJSU news across all areas of the university—in order to strategically position and promote SJSU’s academic endeavors.
- Supervise and manage performance of the communications contractors and staff, including writers, editors and multimedia storytellers consistent with the department goals and objectives.
- Supports the Senior Director of Media Relations with establishing and maintaining the overall narrative content strategy for SJSU’s enterprise-wide print and digital platforms, including sjsu.edu and the newsroom blog, top-level pages, and campus-wide digital signage
- Lead content curation for university e-newsletters.
- Develop and maintain a positive, productive relationship with SJSU student news reporters and their faculty advisors.
- Facilitate news content sharing with CSU Chancellor's Office for CSUniverse and other publications, as requested.
- Supervise, oversee, and recruit contract/freelance and student news writers, including providing context and vision, guiding research and interview approaches, articulating story assignments, providing editorial feedback and training, and performing final review/approval of copy.
- As an expert editor, provide formative, structural and technical feedback to staff, contract and student news writers. Serve as the editorial approver on all news stories.
- Originate research and develop written and multimedia news content supporting SJSU's strategic goals. Gather and analyze complex data and information and present it in a clear, coherent manner that speaks to a general audience.
- With a keen eye on local, regional and global trending news, provide vision, guidance and editorial direction to news team on how to best position content on social media and emerging communication platforms to build and enhance the reputation of the university.
- Develop and write news stories, features and profiles, with an emphasis on the Lucas College and Graduate School of Business, College of Health and Human Sciences, and the College of Graduate Studies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert skill at writing and editing professional-toned, engaging content for print, web and social media.
- Ability to discover and craft compelling stories that not only convey information but also humanize institutional messages and priorities in a powerful narrative.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to effectively plan, coordinate, prioritize and execute multiple projects meeting established deadlines.
- Exhibit high standards of ethical and confidentiality in dealing with internal and external constituencies.
- Knowledge of research and identifying communication needs and target audiences
- Thorough knowledge of web communications techniques, vehicles and formats.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to lead and manage a team of writers.
- Knowledge or ability to quickly learn university infrastructure, policies and procedures, and strategic priorities
- Ability to effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals.
- Thorough research and fact verification skills.
- Thorough skills to write clear, lively, engaging and compelling copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and/or the broader public.
- Thorough analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Expert ability to write and edit for a magazine or similar publication.
- Excellent organizational, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work on university and/or fundraising communications at a large, complex institution.
- Knowledge in producing professional publications, content editing and proofreading—including expert-level grammar skills.
- Familiarity with digital content management and content-authoring platforms and photo editing. Visual design sensibility and experience.
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communications, publications media relations and/or marketing best practices used to promote and position a university or similar institution.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously under deadline.
- Ability to assist with the application of marketing and branding best practices, as well as institutional identity standards, to the development of branded experiences, events, initiatives and campaigns.
- Knowledge communicating in support of major fundraising efforts. Skilled in university campaigns. Expert at AP Style.
- Knowledge producing creative content for use in a variety of media including print, TV, radio, online and other new media.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in journalism, public relations, English or a related field of study
- Five to eight years of experience in public relations, communications or media relations
- Two years of experience producing video and multimedia content
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in journalism, public relations, English or related field of study
- Experience in communications in a higher education setting
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 16, 2020 through December 1, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 13, 2020 (6:00 PM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose