Primary function of Office Administrator is to administer functions of central office and provide administrative and clerical support to Chair and other members of Department of English.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
• Financial management of department, including budgets, billing, purchase requests, monthly report reconciliations.
• Develop and oversee maintenance of department’s personnel files, and process hiring requests/contracts.
• Functions as administrative representative and resource person in dealing with constant flow of requests for information, explanation and guidance to department from agencies across campus and outside university.
• Supervise and evaluate clerical office personnel.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
High school graduation or equivalent.
Any one or combination totaling one (1) unit of the following:
Four (4) years (48 months) of work experience comparable to the third level of this series = 1.0 unit.
Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience comparable to the fourth level of this series = 1.0 unit.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Experience in higher education.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
8 AM - 4:30 PM
Commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from firstname.lastname@example.org and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Administrator for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
NIU English Department
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. This form can be obtained by contacting the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ( ADEI ) at 815-753-8399.
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If applicable, have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215,
NGB22, or DD256 for consideration of Veterans Preference Points?
The copy submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order
to be considered.
- Not Applicable
- * Do you have a certification such as Business/Administrative
Technology, Bookkeeping Office Assistant, Office Specialist,
Customer Service, etc. or successful completion of 30-59 semester
hours in any field? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
certification or unofficial copy of your transcript.)
- * Do you have an Associate’s degree or higher degree in any
field or concentration or successful completion of 60 or more
semester hours? (Please remember to upload a copy of your
- * Please specify the years of work experience involving
administrative support work (experience that supports the
day-to-day operations of an office or organization) or supervising
employee(s) or student(s) or project management experience.
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-4 years
- More than 4 years
- * Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please upload a Writing Sample of 1-2 paragraphs explaining
why you are interested in an Office Administrator position with an
English department at Northern Illinois University.
- I have/will upload this under the Writing Sample document.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- List of at least 3 References
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Transcripts #2 (unofficial with official required at hire)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb