Editor II, VP Enrollment & Strategic Communication
The VP Enrollment & Strategic Communication department invites applications for an Editor II to join their team on campus. The person assigned to this position writes, develops, edits and publishes well-researched content for the University of Montana (UM) website, as well as digital and print recruitment publications while maintaining the integrity of the UM brand and visual identity.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications, the person assigned to this role will be an active, engaged participant in all phases of the UM marketing and communication efforts. The individual in this position is responsible for developing and maintaining good client relations, helping to meet both client and University goals, and managing/maintaining quality vendor relations. Because this position will be in contact with various clients across campus and with off-site vendors, this position requires confidentiality, tact, sensitivity and professionalism.
The employee assigned to this position will assume the following responsibilities:
- Brainstorm with the marketing and communications team for new ideas and strategies for effective content
- Write, edit and publish content for multiple platforms, such as websites, email marketing, printed publications and social media posts
- Utilize higher education best practices and familiarity with the University’s mission to inspire ideas and content
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) strategies in writing to maximize the online visibility of a website in search results
- Monitor and analyze the performance of key performance indicators (KPIs) to offer suggestions for improvement
- Conduct research on any given topic to create content that is innovative and original
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of UM processes regarding branding, marketing and outreach; UM brand guidelines; and an in-depth knowledge of writing for recruitment, retention and higher education audiences.
- Familiarity with keyword placement and SEO
- Demonstrated ability to craft messaging around a brand identity
- Impeccable creative writing skills
- Proven, expert, working knowledge of AP Style
- Extremely proficient computer skills
- In-depth knowledge of the creative process in order to effectively gauge workloads and manage deadlines
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- A proactive approach to problem-solving
- Unwavering attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to multitask between small and large-scale projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented atmosphere
- Collaborative spirit and excellent people skills
- Ability to communicate ideas to colleagues and clients in an articulate, professional manner
- Ability to take direction and work in a creative team environment, as well as work on projects independently
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, creative writing or a related field, as well as at least three (3) years of professional experience in a similar position; or any combination of experience and education that would provide the competencies required to successfully discharge the duties assigned to this position.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Editor II
Position Number: NEW
Department: VP Enrollment & Strategic Communication
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $20.13/hr –Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday, November 30, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular