Department: Theatre, Film, and Media Arts (name change pending Board of Trustees Approval)
Rank: Associate Professor or Professor
Description: The Ohio State University seeks a department chair who will provide ambitious and innovative leadership for its Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts (name change pending Board of Trustees approval). Anticipated start date is July 1, 2021. The chair will serve as the administrative head of the department, with oversight of faculty, staff, curriculum, budget, and strategic direction. The new chair will lead the way in defining and implementing a vision for the newly named department that will soon welcome film studies and moving image production, with the goal of developing its strengths and keeping it competitive with respect to the changing academic climate. The successful candidate will be bold and transparent and will provide leadership for the diverse variety of academic and training programs the department offers. The ideal candidate will be a visionary and inspiring leader who is committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative, and unique vision for the future of the department, who is skilled in directing change with a varied group of people representing diverse areas of study, and who is perceptive in developing the academic and creative potential of faculty, staff, and students.
The new chair will be an innovator in terms of curriculum development, outreach, engagement, visibility, organization, and governance, taking into account the department’s new configuration and its position within a College of Arts and Sciences that includes 37 other academic units. The new chair should be poised to engage with students, faculty, staff, and alumni in order to help position the strengths of the department to engage in deep collaborations with arts and humanities departments and interdisciplinary initiatives across the College, broader campus, and regional campuses, including bolstering partnerships with The Wexner Center for the Arts, and collaborating with university and arts leaders to finalize the department’s integration into Ohio State’s emerging, vibrant Arts District which includes a new state-of-the art building for the Department of Theatre, Film, and Media Arts.
The successful candidate will be a dedicated educator and recognized scholar and/or practitioner with expertise in one or more of the department’s areas of teaching, scholarship, and practice, which include performance history and theory; theatre design and technology; acting; directing; and film studies and media production.
- PhD or DFA in relevant areas such as Theatre History, Performance Studies, Film Studies; and/or DFA or MFA in Theatre, Film and Media Arts.
- National/international record of scholarly or artistic achievement commensurate with the rank of a tenured Associate Professor or Professor at The Ohio State University, including a distinguished record of creative and/or scholarly achievement, teaching excellence at the post-secondary level, and professional service; and evidence of continued excellence in creative and/or scholarly achievement.
- Demonstrated and effective experience in leadership and administrative experience in academia, and with desired experience in fundraising, budget planning, and management.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and demonstrated ability to work with a diverse body of students and colleagues.
- Possessing an innovative vision for the future of the department and its various disciplines, and ability to lead a department with multiple areas of strength, as well as to work successfully across disciplines within a diverse and complex organization.
- Extensive work in graduate education to be able to support and further develop the department’s existing PhD, MFA, and MA programs.
- Experience with successful collaborations, for example those with other academic units in and outside of the university, community partners, and professional arts organizations.
The Ohio State University campus is located in Columbus, the capital city of Ohio. Columbus is the Midwest’s fastest-growing city and the nation’s 14th largest city. Columbus offers a diverse array of welcoming neighborhoods and a vibrant arts and culture scene. Additional information about all that the Columbus area has to offer is available at https://visit.osu.edu/experience.
Apply to Academic Jobs Online at: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17429
A complete application consists of a cover letter in which you address your leadership vision, teaching, and research and/or creative scholarship; a curriculum vitae; the names and email addresses of three references; and a diversity statement which should articulate your demonstrated commitments and leadership in contribution to diversity, equity, and inclusion through research, teaching, mentoring, and/or outreach and engagement. Review of applications will begin on January 4, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries may be directed to Dana Renga firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ohio State University is committed to establishing a culturally and intellectually diverse environment, encouraging all members of our learning community to reach their full potential. We are responsive to dual-career families and strongly promote work-life balance to support our community members through a suite of institutionalized policies. The university is an ADVANCE Institution (http://advance.osu.edu/) and member of the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania/West Virginia Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC).
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status.