Assistant Professor of Hospitality, Recreation & Tourism (Recreation Management)
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, EAST BAY
FACULTY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
DEPARTMENT OF HOSPITALITY, RECREATION AND MANAGEMENT
OAA Position No. 20-21 HRT-RECREATIONMANAGE-TT
THE UNIVERSITY: California State University, East Bay (CSUEB) is a comprehensive university serving the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley. It is known for award-winning programs, expert instruction, its diverse student body, and a choice of more than 100 career-focused fields of study. With an enrollment of approximately 15,000 students and 900 faculty, CSUEB is organized into four colleges. The University offers bachelor’s degrees in 49 fields, minors in 52 fields, master’s degrees in 34 fields, 16 credentials programs, 18 certificate options, and 1 doctoral degree program. http://www20.csueastbay.edu/
California State University East Bay has a mission to support a diverse student body through academically rich and culturally relevant learning experiences. The successful candidate will bring with them expertise or an openness to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all students.
THE DEPARTMENT: The Department of Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism, housed in the College of Education and Allied Studies, offers a B.S. in Recreation with concentrations in Recreation Management, Youth Development, Sustainability, and Recreation Therapy. We also offer a B.S. in Hospitality and Tourism and an M.S. in Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism. Programs within the department can be completed in-person, fully online, or hybrid. We are solution-oriented, experience-driven, and transformation focused. We value experiential learning and encourage students to participate in events and projects on campus and in the community. Our over 300 majors are representative of the culturally diverse San Francisco Bay Area. More than 60 percent of our students are first-generation and most work in the field throughout their time in our program.
We value industry experience and most of our faculty have years of experience in the fields of hospitality, recreation, and tourism. To keep our department relevant, faculty partner with industry professionals to continue our learning. Our department also utilizes an Advisory Committee to provide relevant solutions, suggestions, and support.
DUTIES OF THE POSITION: The successful candidate for this position is expected to fulfill duties in the area of teaching; professional/scholarly activities; department, college, university service; and, community service.
- Teaching: Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in a combination of face-to-face, hybrid and online modalities. Specifically, the successful candidate will have expertise and interest in teaching in a variety of classes in the department core and recreation program, in various modalities, as well as other courses in the department. We are looking specifically for a candidate who has experience in and can teach in one or more of the following areas: recreation programming, special events, youth development, sustainability, leadership, recreation management, financial management, data-driven decision making, and research methods. Note, this is not a Recreation Therapy or Tourism position. Faculty are also expected to advise and mentor students, both on campus and online.
- Professional and scholarly activities: Develop a focused line of research and publish results in academic journals and/or technical publications. Present at professional and academic conferences regionally and nationally. Collaborate with industry professionals through participation in professional organizations and other avenues.
- Department, college, and university service: All faculty actively participate in department, college, and university service. At the department, level faculty participate in curriculum development and program improvement efforts, marketing and promoting the department at campus and community events, and attending student activities and events. At the college and university level, faculty serve on a variety of committees that work toward college and university improvement and governance.
- Location: Teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay could include courses at the Hayward, Concord, and/or online courses.
RANK AND SALARY: The rank for this position is Assistant Professor. The salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience. Subject to budgetary authorization.
DATE OF APPOINTMENT: Fall Semester, 2021Qualifications
Candidates should demonstrate experience in teaching, mentoring, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Education: The candidate must have a doctorate (Ph.D., Ed.D. or equivalent) in Recreation or a related field. If the terminal degree is not in Recreation, a minimum of one degree (bachelors or masters) must be in Recreation or Leisure Studies. ABD will be considered, but the degree must be completed by the effective date of the appointment.
Teaching experience: Candidates with successful teaching experience in recreation or related fields at the university level in face to face and online modalities are highly preferred. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in advising and mentoring students from diverse educational and cultural backgrounds.
Professional experience: Candidates should have at least two years of full-time (or equivalent part-time) work in the field of recreation or related field. Preference will be given to candidates who have had management experience in the recreation field.
Professional and scholarly activities experience: Candidates must demonstrate promise in their focused line of research. This could include publications, presentations, consultations, grant proposals, trainings, and other related activities.
This University is fully committed to the rights of students, staff and faculty with disabilities in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. For more information about the University’s program supporting the rights of our students with disabilities see: http://www20.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/as/Application Instructions
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin November 1, 2020. The position is open until filled. Applications will only be accepted via Interfolio (see "Apply Now.") Emailed materials will not be accepted. Only completed applications will be reviewed. The following should be uploaded as part of your application:
Cover letter that addresses the qualifications noted in this position announcement;
Curriculum vitae with URL links or copies for up to three examples of your research activity in the field of recreation (e.g., articles, book chapters, reviews, presentations);
Transcripts that attest to highest degree earned as well as all degrees relevant to the subject matter of the position (unofficial for application, official upon hiring);
Three current letters of recommendation from academic/professional references (uploaded by the person providing the recommendation, see Interfolio for more information);
A two-page teaching philosophy/diversity statement that addresses the following prompts:
- How have your experiences in the field of parks and recreation shaped the way you see yourself as a faculty member?
- How will you integrate culturally relevant material into recreation management courses? Be specific about subjects and materials used.
- Describe how you will create an inclusive classroom environment in both face to face courses and online courses.
- Describe your approach to advising and mentoring in a diverse and inclusive environment.
Questions should be directed to Dr. Heather Vilhauer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: California State University, East Bay hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All offers of employment are contingent upon presentation of documents demonstrating the appointee’s identity and eligibility to work in accordance with provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act. A background check (including a criminal records check and prior employment verification) must be completed and cleared prior to the start of employment.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CSUEB does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hayward
- Recreation & Leisure Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Hayward