Immunology and Genetics Professor, Associate Professor, or Assistant Professor
Immunology and Genetics
Professor, Associate Professor, or Assistant Professor
University of Medicine and Health Sciences-St. Kitts
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences-St. Kitts (UMHS) invites applications for a faculty position in Immunology/Genetics at all ranks. UMHS is a state of the art medical school located on the exotic Caribbean Island of St. Kitts. Faculty have a unique opportunity to become involved in the growth and success of the institution, and most importantly the opportunity to educate and nurture a new generation of physicians prepared to meet the 21st century health care delivery in a rapidly changing world.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching a three credit course in Immunology and also a two credit course in Genetics. The UMHS calendar year has three fifteen week semesters, with two to three weeks break between semesters for faculty leave.
- Developing and providing students with approved syllabi and learning objectives.
- Organizing, preparing, and regularly updating course content.
- Delivering effective lectures in the classroom and laboratory utilizing a variety of teaching techniques and state of the art teaching technologies.
- Preparing and administering examinations, grading in a timely manner, and providing feedback to students.
- Focusing on student success by being available to students during non-teaching time.
- Serving on faculty committees.
- Supervising students in a variety of activities, including but not limited to problem based learning activities, human-computer simulation activities in the UMHS virtual hospital ward, and activities in local clinical settings.
The successful candidate will teach the three credit Immunology course which begins with a general overview and introduction to the immune system including a description of the cells and tissues involved with innate and adaptive immunity. This is followed by descriptions of the molecular and cellular mechanisms employed in innate immune responses, and for those used in the humoral and cell-mediated arms of adaptive immunity. This includes the details of antigen processing and presentation by antigen-presenting cells and the central role of MHC molecules in this process. The maturation and selection of B and T lymphocytes and the production of the diverse antigen receptors required for lymphocyte activation are also described in detail.
The pathways of lymphocyte activation are followed by an explanation for the generation of the different effector functions and memory cells produced during a humoral or cell-mediated response. The last half of the course is focused on more clinically related topics including tolerance and autoimmunity, transplantation and immunosuppression, immunotherapy strategies against tumors, hypersensitivity, and the consequences of congenital immunodeficiencies. The course ends with a description of the tools and assays of immune functions.
The candidate will also teach a 2 credit Genetics course which provides a description of the human genome including the details of DNA, gene, and chromosome structure, the basics of gene expression, and the various forms of inheritance. The overall goal is to use this knowledge to better understand the molecular mechanisms of how genetic mutations lead to the single gene and complex disorders described in the textbook case studies. Specific course topics include gene mapping and disease gene identification, the treatment of genetic disease, prenatal diagnosis, cancer genetics, and pharmacogenetics.
- US tax free foreign earned income up to $107,600 USD a year but you have to have been in a foreign country for 47 weeks a year.
- Health Insurance plan. University pays for employee and available to spouse and children at employee's expense
- Participation in faculty continuing education or national conference in the US once annually.
- Modern, state of the art campus and facilities in which to teach and conduct research.
- Must have a passion for teaching
- Minimum of an earned Ph.D. from an accredited graduate or medical school preferably in the U.S., Canada, or the U.K.
- A minimum of four years teaching experience teaching immunology and genetics preferably in a U.S., Canadian, or U.K. medical program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English
UMHS offers a traditional four-year Allopathic Doctor of
Medicine program leading to the M.D. degree. The university
operates year round and offers three semesters per calendar year
which start in January, May, and September. Students complete the
Basic Science Program at the UMHS at our state of the art campus in
St Kitts. The fifth semester occurs at the UMHS campus in Portland,
Maine. Students complete their third year of core clinical
rotations and fourth year of elective rotations in one of our many
affiliated, accredited teaching hospitals throughout the United
States. To graduate, students must successfully complete the UMHS
medical program and pass the USMLE Step1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS.
UMHS graduates are eligible to apply for a US or Canadian residency
and subsequently may practice medicine in the United States and
UMHS utilizes innovative teaching techniques such as a 24-bed virtual hospital, small class sizes with individualized attention, and the use of technology to enhance instruction. The faculty is highly credentialed and recruited primarily from the United States.
Send letter of interest, CV, and references to:
Dr. Jerry Thornton, Executive Vice President
And copy to
See more at: http://www.umhs-sk.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Other Science & Technology Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Kitts and Nevis