Human Resources Specialist
Bennington College seeks an engaging Human Resources Specialist to administer employee benefit programs for the College, helping to ensure that benefit offerings remain competitive to attract and retain top talent and meet the ongoing needs of a diverse faculty and staff. The Specialist is the primary point of contact for all benefit inquiries and handles the day-to-day benefits administration for all of the College’s benefits plans. The Specialist works collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Human Resources and the College's benefits broker to handle more complex benefit matters and will have an opportunity to assist with projects from a broad range of Human Resources functional areas including employee and labor relations, compensation, policy development/interpretation, and compliance, among others.
Essential Functions include:
- Respond to faculty and staff on benefit inquiries, effectively educating employees on the range of benefits offered
- Process benefit enrollment elections and changes in the HRIS
- Share benefits information and materials, conduct new hire benefit orientation
- Reconcile monthly invoices and employee deductions, monitoring the annual benefits budget
- Ensure accuracy of benefits files and enrollment records, periodically auditing information
- Collaborate with Human Resources team to oversee the annual benefits enrollment process including analyzing renewal data, evaluating plan design options and changes
- Oversee administrative aspects of leave of absence and time off benefit programs, including FMLA and ADA
- Assist with monitoring and evaluating data, trends, and Federal/State legislation that may impact the benefits arena to effectively and strategically plan for the future
This work requires a strong customer service orientation, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to recieve sensitive information while maintaining confidentiality. Candidates must be able to engage with a wide range of audiences and therefore, exceptional communication skills are essential. The ideal candidate has the ability to be nimble and flexible in a fast-paced, small-team work environment, bringing strong organizational and analytical skills. Candidates should possess 1-2 years of benefits/leave administration experience as well as demonstrated knowledge of relevant Federal and State law (i.e., ERISA, FMLA, ACA, ADA). Bachelor’s degree in human resources, finance, or related discipline preferred. Gmail and Google Suite, Microsoft Office experience required; HRIS or benefits administration database experience preferred, prior experience with ADP WFN strongly preferred. Candidates must be resourceful, able to work independently with time-sensitive deadlines, and have a creative approach to the work. The position requires the successful completion and acceptable results of a background check.
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnic/racial minorities, international and global constituents, sexual minorities, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, and power through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.