Jazz Program Director
The Jazz Program Director will play a central role in the reimagining of the Jazz program at Interlochen, including programs for Interlochen Arts Academy, Interlochen Arts Camp, and Interlochen Online. Building on the strong jazz traditions at Interlochen, the Director will take the program to new levels of achievement. The Jazz Program Director leads the entire jazz area. This includes program and curriculum development, working with the Director of Music to hire, expand, and supervise the jazz faculty (instrumental and voice), directing jazz combos and ensembles, guest artist curation, and repertoire selection, as well as teaching classes and private lessons. Additionally, the Program Director leads the teaching of improvisation for all music majors--classical and contemporary.
- Work directly with the Director of Music on faculty hiring.
- Develop curriculum for Jazz Studies to attract jazz students of all ages and instrumental backgrounds to Camp, Academy, and Interlochen Online programs.
- Oversee the daily schedule, faculty schedules, and performance schedule.
- Promote repertoire selection that is diverse and inclusive and representative of the expansive nature of jazz throughout the world.
- Teach classes and private lessons.
- Recruit students for Academy, Camp, and Interlochen Online in concert with admissions staff.
- Represent Interlochen in professional organizations and maintain and develop close ties with feeder programs, schools, and instructors, as well as with college and university programs to facilitate the success of our students as they move into higher education.
- Seek the best use of materials, equipment and staff to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Comply with ICA policies/procedures and act as a good steward of ICA finances.
- Respect the culture, diversity and rights of all students, their families and the community.
- Prioritize duties in a manner consistent with organizational objectives and growth.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors Degree Required; Masters Degree Preferred
- Significant national and international experience as a teacher-artist-performer.
- Expertise as a jazz musician.
- Ability to teach students at all levels.
- Ability to develop appropriate curriculum.
- Ability to identify and engage guest artists of national and international repute.
- Ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders in advocating for and highlighting the jazz program of IAC.
- Ability to follow and execute specific verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate respect for cultural, ethnic, spiritual, and linguistic diversity and values including differences in personal goals, lifestyle choices and varying family backgrounds and histories
If interested in applying please go to https://careers.interlochen.org/employment-opportunities to complete an application and attach your resume and cover letter. Materials submitted will be held in the strictest confidence.
More information about Interlochen Center for the Arts:
A global destination for artists and arts enthusiasts, Interlochen Center for the Arts nurtures creativity through five dynamic platforms: Interlochen Arts Camp, the renowned summer arts program; Interlochen Arts Academy, the nation’s premier fine arts boarding high school; Interlochen Presents, a producer of more than 600 annual performances by internationally celebrated guest artists, Interlochen students, and faculty; Interlochen Public Radio, two listener-supported, 24-hour public radio stations (classical music and news); and Interlochen College of Creative Arts, a convener for lifelong learning in the arts.
Since 1928, Interlochen’s mission to inspire people worldwide through excellence in the arts and education has produced generations of purposeful creative lives. For more information, visit interlochen.org. Follow Interlochen on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube at @interlochenarts.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Interlochen
- Arts Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Interlochen
- Music Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Interlochen
- Performing Arts Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Interlochen