Accounting Specialist - L
Accounting Specialist - L
Department: Alumnae/i Affairs & Development Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 11/09/2020
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS009P
Pay Rate: $16.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Accounting Specialist handles a high volume of confidential material with adherence to strict deadlines, College and IRS guidelines and often requires multitasking. The Accounting Specialist performs a variety of gift processing activities involving the review, analysis and evaluation of donor gifts to the College ensuring that all gifts and pledges are accurately recorded in the CRM and reconcilable with the Finance Office. Data entry of biographical data will also be required for gift processing, receipting and designated projects. The Accounting Specialist reports to the Manager of Gifts and Records.
- Maintains clear and concise communication with Manager of Gifts
and Records, co-workers and other department members as needed to
research and obtain additional information necessary for accurate
gift recording and acknowledgement of gifts.
- Prepares gift paperwork for gift entry by identifying donor,
destination, amount of gift, and other pertinent information
related to gift through analysis of gift paperwork.
- Enters gift into CRM, does adjustments as necessary, and
performs associated tasks necessary to download and retrieve gifts
from software programs that support online gifts.
- Performs processes related to the receipting of all
- Reacts to gift alerts, internal google group emails, and
- Performs biographical data entry as required for gift entry
process and for designated projects.
- Must adapt to changing guidelines and processes as required to
enhance or respond to the needs of the department and/or the
- Must be available to work during calendar year-end which occurs
during the winter holiday break and during June reunion as
- Attends Gifts and Records meetings and ad hoc meetings as
- Three years of bookkeeping and/or gift entry experience
preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with experience
working with fundraising gift entry.
- Experience with fundraising relational databases, merchant
accounts, reporting tools, software programs, or similar is
- High-level proficiency with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
Suite, and willingness to learn new technology and software
- Ability to perform work with accuracy is essential, especially
during cyclical high volume periods.
- Ability to follow a process through use of several software
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to analyze and
interpret gift paperwork and data.
- Serious commitment to confidentiality and the endorsement of
ethical and professional standards is imperative.
- Highly organized with a keen eye to efficiency.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills needed to communicate with diverse audiences both verbally and in written form. Ability to work independently, in partnership and as part of a team is imperative.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1610.