Faculty Development Specialist
The Institute of Leadership in Higher Education at the University of Sharjah invites applicants for full-time permanent staff position titled Faculty Development Specialist.
Additional Qualification/ Competencies:
Minimum requirement of Master's degree in a field such as Education, Educational Leadership, Adult Education, and Higher Education with cognate experience in faculty development, and teaching and learning. Applicant must be able to communicate fluently in Arabic and English.
Preferred Educational Qualification/Experience:
- D. in Education, Curriculum and Instruction or Adult Education
- Experience teaching as faculty in courses or programs that leverage the potential of experiential learning at the university level.
- Knowledge of current best practices in teaching pedagogies, instructional design, assessment and instructional technology.
- Knowledge of instructional design models, strategies, and techniques, along with experience in managing, assessing and improving the implementation of experiential learning practices.
- Professional knowledge and expertise in student advising, counseling, and mentoring
- Knowledge of recent research on student learning and motivation and implications for the development of effective learning environments.
- Knowledge of the practical trade-offs among various active and/or group learning structures and technology tools.
- Comprehensive knowledge of instructional design processes.
- At least 3 years of experience working with faculty members in career/professional development activities within a higher education setting.
Required Application Materials
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of interest
- List of 3 references
Support innovative teaching, informed by research and best practices in curriculum design and delivery; support University-wide educational effectiveness through developing and managing a faculty development framework, which strengthens Faculty development and also facilitates transformative learning experiences; work closely with Faculty to accelerate evidence-based pedagogies and next generation learning environments.
- Facilitate a university-wide conversation on contemporary teaching strategies
- Consult with individual faculty members, and departments to improve teaching and student learning experiences
- Design, develop, and facilitate workshops for faculty professional development. This could include organization of workshops with on- and off-campus speakers with emphasis on hands-on participation; faculty learning communities, and other types of pedagogical initiatives.
- Consult with faculty concerning course design, syllabi, instructional activities, and pedagogical approaches.
- Conduct classroom observations for faculty, on request, providing formative feedback on instructional and/or pedagogical issues identified by the faculty member
- Develop online resources and reference materials on pedagogy and disseminate programmatic information to the university faculty and the institute’s graduate students.
- Conduct research in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) to present at forums, conferences and publish in academic journals.
- Collaborate with faculty and other institute’s staff regarding the effective use of instructional technology in the classroom.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of online resources to enhance faculty development and student learning experiences.
- Other activities and responsibilities as assigned to support the institute and university goals.