SENIOR LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
SENIOR LABORATORY TECHNICIAN
Posting Number: SRGV4751
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Brownsville, Texas
Department: College of Health Professions / Health and Biomedical Sciences
Scope of Job:
To provide advanced technical assistance for various research projects. Responsible for performing technical laboratory duties in accordance with general plans and recording results.
Description of Duties:
• Assists in assigned phases of the research process.
• Performs a variety of technical duties, in a laboratory, field, or other environment.
• Maintains, calibrates and modifies equipment and automated systems as supported for specific tests to be performed.
• Ensures the lab equipment and lab environment is sterilized as required to ensure valid test results.
• Collects and prepares samples and supporting records.
• Maintains records and compiles data of experiments.
• Tabulates and summarizes data using personal computers and appropriate software.
• May directs and supervises the work of lower level lab technicians.
• Maintains inventory of research related material.
• Prepares all standard components needed for tests in a laboratory, field or other environment.
• Keeps worksite in a neat and orderly manner.
• Accesses readings and measurements taken.
• May suggest modifications or improvements in the experimental design of research projects.
• May prescribe procedures to modify and accommodate existing sampling and analytical conditions.
• Operates and maintains equipment systems.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific supervision from assigned supervisor.
May carry out limited supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the project objectives.
Associates Degree in a field related to the work performed.
College level class work in Biology or Chemistry
• Two (2) years experience in collecting, compiling, and analyzing research data or related laboratory work, or
• Five (5) years of the related experience with a High School Diploma or equivalent, or
• A comparable combination of education and experience.
Specialized experience in related research.
Thorough knowledge of special equipment used in the field of research.
Knowledge of statistical concepts and methods and their application to research analysis, of measurement, testing, and evaluation, and of research methods, principles, techniques, and philosophies. Skilled in conducting qualitative and quantitative research and in using computers, software, and statistical tools and programs. Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software and able to learn and use institutional software systems.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Based on field of assignment: standard laboratory or office conditions.
May require working with hazardous equipment and materials or in hazardous environments.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 11/23/2020
Grant Funded Position: Yes
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date: 06/30/2021
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/26417