Associate Professor in Community and Human Services
About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 49-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 87,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at over 30 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
Empire State College is committed to creating a multi-cultural and inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package.
Empire State College (ESC) seeks an Associate Professor in Community and Human Services, with a specialization in criminal justice for a tenure-track position at the College's Metropolitan Center location in Manhattan. A doctorate from a regionally accredited US university or comparable non-US university is required in criminal justice, psychology, or social work. A specialization in criminal justice focused on rehabilitation and counseling is required. ESC faculty mentors guide students in their overall academic program, including design of the degree. The successful candidate will enjoy working with students and providing individualized advisement from entry through graduation.
The college has three New York City locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island. The faculty support student success, provide innovative approaches to learning, and develops link to the diverse urban environment of which it is a part. Involvement in course and program development, scholarly activities, assessment of student learning and college governance is expected.
Faculty work with students in one-on-one, seminar, residency-based and on-line learning modes at the graduate and undergraduate levels; the mix varies by setting. Central to the faculty role is helping adults from diverse cultural backgrounds design and complete degrees that meet their personal and professional goals. The college is a pioneer in mentoring adult learners, prior learning assessment and online learning. A highly distributed organization, Empire State College makes extensive use of technological applications for communication, teaching and learning, and administrative purposes.
- Doctorate from a regionally accredited US university or comparable non-US university is required in one of the following areas for a tenure-track appointment: criminal justice, psychology, or social work.
- Specialization in criminal justice focused on counseling and rehabilitation.
- Demonstrated experience working in a criminal justice system.
- Demonstrated experience supervising staff in the criminal justice system.
- Demonstrated experience working with re-integration programs for men and women leaving the prison system.
- Demonstrated experience working in the parole system.
- Demonstrated success in creating and maintaining initiatives that facilitates the success of a diverse and inclusive student population.
- Experience mentoring and teaching non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds at the undergraduate level.
- Successful candidates will also have strong communication, computer, and organizational skills
- Strong preference will be accorded candidates who demonstrate knowledge of adult learning, individualized and interdisciplinary programs, learning technologies and online pedagogies, and innovative program delivery, as well as demonstrated commitment to diversity issues in higher education or through community-based work
- Experience mentoring and teaching non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds at the graduate level. Successful candidates must participate actively in institutional development and pursue scholarly interests.
- Office hours will vary to accommodate student needs.
- Office hours will include afternoon and evening hours.
- Some weekend hours, usually Saturdays.
- Regular travel will be required to fulfill regional and college-wide commitments.
- The region encompasses the locations in New York City, Long Island and lower Hudson Valley.
Rank/Salary: Tenure-track, Associate Professor, 12-month appointment, salary range begins at $67,000 for beginning associate professor
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Human Development & Family Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Other Social & Behavioral Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City