Posting Number: SRGV4577
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Brownsville, Texas
Scope of Job:
Provide professional knowledge and counseling skills regarding the institutional admissions, academic programs, financial aid and scholarship process. Responsible for counseling prospective students, parents, educational administrators and other interested persons regarding admissions requirements, policies and procedures, as well as participate in recruitment events and activities.
Description of Duties:
• Responsible for one-on-one or group counseling of prospective students, parents, college access partners and administrators and other interested persons regarding UTRGV enrollment procedures, including but not limited to, academic programs, freshmen and transfer admissions, scholarships, financial aid, housing, student life, and registration.
• Travels frequently to high schools, colleges and other learning institutions to publicize and explain the benefits of higher education, the University’s admissions, financial aid and scholarship processes.
• Creates and delivers presentations on university life, programs of study, admissions, financial aid & scholarship requirements to prospective students, parents, counselors, administrators and other student groups.
• Develops and maintains communications plans to prospective students, parents and high school counselors in territory.
• Provides support in the college search and enrollment process: from prospective student to applicant, to admit to orientation and enrollment; including accepting time-sensitive documents to aid in the processing of student records.
• Organizes and conducts recruitment activities on and off campus for students within assigned territory, including additional audiences: parents, high schools college access and administration to support achieving university enrollment goals.
• Serves as a liaison to create and maintain a network with high school and community college counselors.
• Replies in a timely manner to resolve customer complaints or discrepancies either in person, by telephone or e-mail in accordance with University policy and department
• Interprets and maintains knowledge of current federal, state, and institutional policies and procedures pertaining to admissions, financial aid & scholarships.
• Uses statistical data to identify target recruitment markets and makes recommendations for outreach activities.
• Completes weekly and monthly reports on recruitment efforts.
• Prepares and tracks all documents needed for travel and reimbursement.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
May supervise assigned staff.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
As condition of employment this position requires the applicant to be authorized to operate a University-Owned Vehicle for Official University Business. Per University of Texas System Policy 157, applicants will be subject to a motor vehicle record check for their most recent thirty-six (36) month history. Out of State Drivers are required to submit a 36-month history MVR from their prior State of residence(s).
One (1) year of experience counseling students in admissions, financial aid, scholarships or a related area.
Use of standard office equipment.
Ability to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; frequent travel; evening and weekend work required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Exceptional planning and organizational skills. Excellent customer service skills. Ability to interpret college/university contexts into everyday language.
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 08/05/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/26334