Assistant/Associate Budget Director
William Paterson University invites applications for the full-time 12 month position of Assistant/Associate Budget Director.
Under the direction of the Director of University Budgets & Financial Planning, the Assistant/Associate Budget Director participates in all phases of the development, management, and analysis of the University's planning and operational budget. This position will have access to, and assist in preparing, highly confidential information, such as long range financial goals for the University, salary forecasts, programmatic changes, capital budgeting strategies and specific financial analyses of special projects.
The Budget Office sits within the Division of Administration and Finance. The Division's mission is to plan, develop, implement and operate administrative and financial systems and endeavors in support of the University and its external governing agencies. The Division promotes and implements appropriate and effective and efficient business practices in the use of resources, the maintenance of high ethical standards, and the preservation of the public trust.
The Budget Office provides timely financial information for effective decision making and assists faculty and staff with understanding their budget concerns. For more information, please visit https://www.wpunj.edu/budget/
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with the Budget director to develop and implement policies, procedures, practices and systems related to the University budgeting process; consults with Budget Director and Human Resources to provide analysis and recommendations related to the financial implications of collective bargaining agreements
- Participates in the development and preparation of the annual spending plan including forecasting of salary expenditures; maintains salary and non-salary budgets to ensure adequate use of resources
- Develops financial, budget, and other related analyses and formulates findings, recommendations, and conclusions; participates in the development and preparation of the annual State budget request
- Manages position assignments to ensure that all changes comply with established policies, budgets, and procedures
- Participates in training department personnel in financial matters and spreadsheet modeling; prepares and participates in specific financial analyses of special projects
- Develops and maintains collaborative working relationships with University departments in dealing with budgetary matters
- Provides guidance and oversees the work of Budget staff on specific projects and deliverables as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned that are appropriate for the position
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, business or related field from an accredited University
- Five (5) or more years work experience working with data analysis
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Experience with information and relational databases
- Experience in an institution of higher education
- Experience with Ellucian Banner and Business Intelligence
- Project management experience
Personal attributes and traits:
- Proven ability to see the implications and execute different components of a project and develop those projects from conceptualization to presentation of final results.
- Capable of analyzing data as it relates to a situation, arriving a sound, comprehensible conclusions, and formulating recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse and complex organization.
- Adept at determining how long it will take to complete a project and then efficiently break down the project into specific, reasonable, and timely pieces in order to complete project on time.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to objectives when working independently and when collaborating with others.
Please click to apply for the position
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
Complete an application
Submit a cover letter & CV
Provide names/contacts of three professional references
Submission of all documents listed above is required for consideration
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. General questions related to this application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.orgAbout William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls nearly 10,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.
William Paterson University is an equal opportunity employer that actively values and supports diversity among faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.