Assistant Professor of African American Literature, Department of English - Howard University
Department of English
The Department of English in the College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor with a specialization in the area of African American Literature. We welcome applicants who are able to bridge African American literary studies with one or more of the following areas of study: Afro-futurism and science/speculative fiction, environmental literature, medical humanities, Black popular cultures (visual and material), and digital humanities and/or technology studies.
We seek outstanding applicants with a demonstrated track record of excellence in research and teaching. Successful candidates are expected to develop vigorous, extramurally funded research programs in their areas of expertise, actively participate in the Department's teaching and curriculum development at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and mentor undergraduate and graduate students. Evidence of interest and success in mentoring underrepresented minority students is highly desired.
Howard University, a culturally diverse, comprehensive, research intensive, and historically Black private university, provides an educational experience of exceptional quality at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels to students of high academic standing and potential, with particular emphasis upon educational opportunities for Black students. Howard University is classified as a Doctoral University: Higher Research Activity research by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It is a residential campus of approximately 10,000 students located in the heart of the nation’s capital, Washington, DC.
The Department of English currently consists of 20 tenured/tenure-track faculty members, conducting research with specializations in African American, American, British, and Caribbean literatures and literary theory. It offers BA, MA, and PhD degrees in these areas.
- Earned doctorate in English or a related field from an accredited institution;
- Record of scholarship, teaching, and professional service commensurate with the rank of assistant professor;
- Effective communication and organizational skills; and
- Evidence of successful grant writing experience.
Complete applications consist of a single PDF file containing
1) Cover letter addressing qualifications listed above;
2) Current curriculum vita;
3) Two-page statement of research accomplishments, interests and future plans;
4) Two-page statement of teaching experience and philosophy; and
5) Names and contact information for at least three references who will provide letters upon request from the search committee.
Completed applications should be addressed to the Chair of the search committee, Dr. Dana Williams, and submitted electronically to email@example.com. Screening will begin December 1, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled, pending final budget approval. The desired starting date is August 16, 2021. More information about the Department of English can be found at www.english.howard.edu.
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, disability or protected veterans status. Veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities or veterans status, Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at 202-806-1280.
Apply for Assistant Professor of African American Literature, Department of English - Howard University
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- English & Literature Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.