The Scripps Gerontology Center seeks a Communications Specialist to support the Associate Director of Strategic Communications with a wide range of communication and marketing projects; assist with the production of external communication materials including annual reports, newsletters, and promotional materials (such as brochures, publicity for special events, videos, and photos); support for communication strategies and tools; archival maintenance for communication efforts; and copy editing and writing for Scripps Gerontology Center, including press releases, newsletters, research reports and briefs. Position is funded by external grants for one year; renewable upon continued funding.
Duties include and are not limited to:
- Communication materials and platforms:
- Collaborate with the Associate Director to decide content and dissemination strategies for PR and new stories; work with story writers to meet goals and deadlines
- Copy-edit, proofread, and format newsletters, reports, and other written content
- Help produce digital newsletters and disseminate through Constant Contact
- Work with content experts to produce brochures, recruitment materials, and publicity for special events
- Support the production of research reports
- Maintain Scripps Commons (internal communication and archiving platform)
- Work with Associate Director of Communications on implementation of social media strategies
- Assist with research dissemination for broad audiences via virtual platforms such as WebEx
- Dissemination and Archiving:
- Maintain research report files and archives
- Manage master file of reports and publications
- Prepare mass research report mailings and email distributions to national and state legislature members and other Scripps contacts
- Continuously update Scripps report and publication list
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in communication studies, public relations, marketing, journalism, or related field. Ability to copy-edit and apply formatting and style guidelines (such as APA) to a variety of documents. Proficiency in Microsoft office applications and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with digital file management. Strong writing skills. Track record of working independently and as part of a team.
This position is available to persons who are currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time and indefinite basis. (Persons authorized to work on such a basis include US citizens, lawful permanent residents (“green card” holders), asylees, refugees, and temporary residents under IRCA.)
Consideration may be given to candidates with knowledge of gerontology; experience with research reports; experience with InDesign.
Submit cover letter and curriculum vitae to http://jobs.miamioh.edu/cw/en-us/job/497114?lApplicationSubSourceID=. Inquiries about the position may be directed to Tasha Dean at email@example.com. Screening of applications will begin November 25, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Miami University, an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami University prohibits harassment, discrimination and retaliation on the basis of age (40 years or older), color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, military status, national origin (ancestry), pregnancy, race, religion, sex/gender, status as a parent or foster parent, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, programs or employment practices. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560.
As part of the University’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe living, learning, and working environment, we encourage you to read Miami University’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html, which contains information about campus safety, crime statistics, and our drug and alcohol abuse and prevention program designed to prevent the unlawful possession, use, and distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus and at university events and activities. This report also contains information on programs and policies designed to prevent and address sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. Each year, email notification of this website is made to all faculty, staff, and enrolled students. Written notification is also provided to prospective students and employees. Hard copies of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report may be obtained from the Miami University Police Department at (513) 529-2223. A criminal background check is required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco-free.