Dental Hygiene Program Clinical and Lab Instructors
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Clinical and lab instructors are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the Dental Hygiene Program. The goal of the clinical instructor is to provide instruction to dental hygiene students through demonstration and laboratory/clinical exercises. The lab instructor may take part in working with students in the radiology, dental materials or oral anatomy labs. The clinical instructor may take part in working with students in the dental clinic area.
The clinical and/or lab instructor is responsible for the following:
- Review medical history with patient volunteers when necessary and provide medical/dental referral when necessary.
- Evaluate patient volunteer dental and periodontal charting for necessary restorative work.
- Evaluate radiographs for pathology and complete referral forms when needed.
- Serve as a resource person for oral pathology.
- Assist the student in accurately recording ALL relevant pertinent information in the patient volunteer's dental record.
Other Responsibilities May Include:
- Provides clinical instruction in preclinical lab, radiology lab, dental hygiene clinical courses and/or external clinical sites to all levels of student dental hygienists.
- Advises students in academic matters.
- Evaluates students by a variety of means (competencies) to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and inform them in a timely manner of their progress.
- Submits requested information and required reports and forms in a timely manner.
- Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues and the community.
- Completes required college training, campus orientation, and meetings as needed.
- Attend DHYG Program meetings.
- Attend clinical calibration meetings.
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
- Registered Dental Hygienist with a Master's Degree in Dental Hygiene from a regionally accredited institution or BS Degree with three or more year's clinical experience.
- Five years clinical experience minimal and three years' experience in education is preferred.
- Licensed as a registered hygienist in the State of Maryland.
- Licensed to give local anesthesia as required by the State of Maryland.
- Licensed to monitor nitrous oxide as required by the State of Maryland.
- Candidate must be familiar with ADA Accreditation standards/guidelines.
- Candidate must be familiar with laws governing dental hygiene practice in the state of Maryland.
- Working knowledge of state of Maryland dental hygiene practice.
- Current CE requirements necessary for dental hygiene licensure in Maryland.
- Current CPR/BSL certification.
- Current license to practice dental hygiene in Maryland.
- Current dental radiology licensure.
Education & Experience:
- Experience and knowledge of dental hygiene accreditation procedures for dental hygiene programs.
- Teaching experience with a background in education theory & practice.
- Current knowledge relative to subjects teaching.
- Current dental hygiene clinic practice experience.
- Certified dental assistant experience helpful.
- Experience in Dentrix and Dexis dental software & digital radiography.
- License in administering local anesthesia for dental hygiene practice.
- Certification/continuing education in monitoring of nitrous oxide for dental hygiene practice.
- Member of the American Dental Hygienists Association.
- Experience using the TalEVal Electronic Grading System.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong organizational and writing abilities.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent advising/counseling skills.
- Preferred knowledge of working chair- side assisting, infection control, sterilization techniques, dental radiology protocol, laboratory skills and teaching.
- Experience in curriculum developing and curriculum management plan.
- Ability to collaborate with other dental hygiene program faculty, staff and administrators
- Able to meet deadlines.
- Dental receptionist duties helpful.
- Member of the American Dental Hygienists Association
Hours Per Week: 25-30 hours per week
Work Schedule: May vary. M-F 7:30 am to 1:00 pm or 12:30 pm - 5:30 pm/some evenings possible.
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: November 30, 2020
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition of employment.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need
assistance with the job application process and/or with the
interview process. For confidential assistance with the job
application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources
The following are required documents:
- Completed Application
- Cover Letter