Classical Languages Instructor (spring term 2021)
The Classical Languages Department seeks an instructor with a demonstrated facility in Latin for a temporary, part- or full-time position for the spring trimester, 2021 (March 22 – June 4). Depending on the candidate’s interest and experience, the position could comprise two, three, or four courses, ranging from elementary to advanced. Ideally, candidates will be able to teach in person and on campus, but in view of uncertainties surrounding the pandemic, we may also consider candidates limited to teaching remotely. The instructor will be supported and mentored commensurately with ability and experience.
- Teaching: Classes at Phillips Exeter Academy are student-centered collaborative discussions around a Harkness table or, depending on conditions, via Zoom video. Teachers are expected to be dedicated to careful daily preparation in order to meet the needs of able and motivated students working through a rigorous curriculum.
- Collaboration and Communication: In order to maintain continuity and consistency in the Latin curriculum, the instructor will be expected to follow departmental guidelines for content and assessment and meet at least once weekly with the Classical Languages Department and/or the Chair to discuss students’ experience and progress.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty at Phillips Exeter Academy are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- A bachelor’s degree or significant coursework in Latin
- Experience with or interest in culturally competent teaching practices
- Proof of authority to work in the United States
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
- Clean driving record
All interested candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and a copy of your transcripts with your application