Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F60550 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Department Chair School/Unit School of Nursing Department Adult Health & Nursing Systems Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
We shape the future of nursing through the power of education, discovery and collaboration.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We invite you to apply for this full-time, term or tenure-eligible faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. The Department Chair (DC) is charged with administrative oversight of the assigned Department(s) including the faculty orientation, faculty development and mentoring efforts, development of annual faculty work plans and teaching assignments, and evaluation of full-time and adjunct faculty for whom they supervise. This position reports to the Dean of the School of Nursing.
• Demonstrate commitment to contributing to VCU’s Quest 2025 (https://quest.vcu.edu/).
• Demonstrate an integrated academic life, contributing to the teaching, research, and service missions in an urban research-intensive university with an academic health sciences center by maintaining personal academic faculty obligations in accordance with area of expertise and as negotiated by Dean.
• Assist with the recruitment and retention of qualified and diverse faculty and staff.
• Ensure adequate orientation for new faculty and staff assigned to the department.
• Mentor faculty for development of programs of research, excellence in teaching, and appropriate academic and professional service. Ensure opportunities for faculty and staff development.
• Develop annual faculty workplan based on the standard faculty workload document and individual faculty priorities.
• Collaborate with Program Directors for teaching assignments and ensure adequate course coverage.
• Conduct the annual evaluation of full-time faculty, adjunct faculty, and staff within department.
• Foster a positive internal environment, work relationships, interpersonal communication, collaboration, and consensus building within the department and across the organization.
• Effectively manage department resources.
• Interface with external constituents (university or community) as assigned.
• Collaborate closely with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, the Associate Dean of Research, Scholarship, and Innovation, and the Associate Dean of Practice and Community Engagement to support the attainment of the academic, research, and practice missions of the school.
• Provide leadership in all aspects of curriculum development and implementation across programs.
• Engage faculty, students, and staff to foster a diverse community at VCU .
• Doctoral degree in Nursing or a related discipline, with at least one graduate degree in nursing
• Currently licensed or eligible for licensure to practice nursing in Virginia
• Demonstrated administrative-level academic nursing leadership experience, including experience collaborating across academic missions
• Demonstrated experience teaching and scholarship within nursing
• Demonstrated experience in the development and mentorship of faculty in the areas of scholarship, teaching, and practice
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Track record of external funding
• Background consistent with the appointment of tenure
• Qualifications and experience to meet criteria at our institution for appointment at the rank of Professor
Date Posted 11/12/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 01/05/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates must apply to this faculty position through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com to be considered for this position. For further information about this position contact the Demmie Pennix, HR Administrator, School of Nursing at (804) 628-7583 or email@example.com.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101667 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3