University of Idaho
Division/College: Facilities Management
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $17.82 per hour or higher depending on experience and education
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Working within a team environment and under the general oversight of the Hardscape and Mechanical Shops Supervisor the incumbent of this position performs and instructs others in specialized duties supportive of departmental goals. These duties specifically involve the outside environments of campus and a small percentage of building work on occasion. The duties will include: minor foundation inspection/maintenance work concerning grade issues and water intrusion problems, the maintenance, repair, replacement, and cleaning of hardscapes such as campus streets, parking lots, and walkways; and support to the Utilities team for the installation and repair of storm drain systems, valve boxes, utility boxes, and other concrete utility structures on campus. The work requires the operation of a variety of construction equipment. With supervisor's approval, duties also involve directing others in the work associated with the trade specialties represented by the description of responsibilities provided within.
This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or University closure.
Background Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Experience directly related to the Hardscape Core. The Hardscape Core is defined as knowledge and experience with asphalt and concrete installations, maintenance and repair. In addition to the Hardscape Core, 2 years of professional work experience directly related to at least one other skilled trades areas or combination of, as listed below:
1) Heavy Equipment Operation and Repair
2) Hand and Power Equipment Use
3) Project and Plan review
4) Snow and Ice Mitigation Experience
- Must possess: a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and be able to meet policy requirements for driving University vehicles.
- This position requires the employee to possess or obtain (within 6 months) a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with air brake endorsement and therefore, under the Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements, is subject to the following drug and alcohol testing: pre-employment (post offer-pre-duty), post-accident, random, reasonable suspicion, return-to-duty and follow-up.
- Experience operating computer hardware and software.
- Must have experience with and be willing and able to participate in numerous training activities, including hardscape maintenance and repair and a variety of safety training programs, with a requirement to complete necessary training within two (2) years of hire.
- Must have experience with and be able and willing to work weekends/nights for on-call and emergency service requests.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of Post-Secondary education or training in the fields of construction; construction management; or mechanical repair.
- Certification in Operation of: Loader, Backhoe, Grader, Roller, Excavator, Street Sweeper, Forklift, and Uni-loaders.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- 90% outside work, year round, in inclement weather.
- 10% office and shop tasks and duties.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to lift and/or otherwise carry up to 90 pounds in a routine, repetitive manner as needed.
- Ability to bend, stoop, crawl, twist, dig, climb, and walk on a routine basis throughout the work day.
- Ability to work routinely on uneven or slick surfaces.
- During seasonal snow removal, extended work shifts and additional night shifts are required.
Posting Number: SP002636P
Posting Date: 11/12/2020
Closing Date: 11/29/2020
Open Until Filled: No
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.