Open Rank Teaching Professor - Science Education
Florida International University is Miami’s public research university, focused on student success. According to U.S. News and World Report, FIU has 42 top-50 rankings in the nation among public universities. FIU is a top U.S. research university (R1), with more than $200 million in annual expenditures. FIU ranks 15th in the nation among public universities for patent production, which drives innovation, and is one of the institutions that helps make Florida the top state for higher education. The Next Horizon fundraising campaign is furthering FIU’s commitment to providing students Worlds Ahead opportunities. Today, FIU has two campuses and multiple centers, and supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA, with more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. The university has awarded more than 330,000 degrees to many leaders in South Florida and beyond. For more information about FIU, visit www.fiu.edu.
The Department of Teaching and Learning in the College of Arts, Sciences and Education at Florida International University, invites applications for a twelve-month, full-time, Open Rank Teaching Professor position in Science Education for an anticipated start date of Fall 2021.
- Doctorate in education, curriculum and instruction, teaching and learning, or similar fields with specialization in K-12 science or STEM education
- Experience teaching science in a K-12 setting; K-6 preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience teaching pre-service general methods or science methods courses at the undergraduate and/or graduate level
- Experience working with teams of educators and/or administrators on K-12 education curriculum development or redesign
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing issues of diversity and inclusion in education
- Dedication to preparing science teachers through the utilization of quality curricula, research-based practices, innovative educational technologies, and hands-on experiences
- Attentiveness to trends and reforms within K-12 science education
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn online course management systems
Responsibilities: Teach undergraduate courses in Elementary Science Education as part of the Early Childhood and Elementary Education programs. Specifically, teach four courses in the Department of Teaching and Learning during Fall and Spring semesters and three courses during the Summer term. Contribute to the Department, College, and University through service and committee involvement. Other responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Facilitate or contribute to program accreditation and assessment processes (e.g., CAEP, FL Dept. of Education)
- Revise courses as needed based on local and national changes to K-12 science education
- Serve as the Science Disciplinary Leader for the Elementary Education program
- Work with undergraduate and graduate program leaders when appropriate
- Contribute to ongoing programmatic development within the Elementary Education program
- Teach graduate-level Elementary Science Education courses
- Other responsibilities and or/special projects as assigned by the Chair of the Department
The Department offers courses in elementary science education,
secondary science and STEM education, and MS and PhD programs with
concentrations in science and STEM Education. These courses place
special emphasis on graduating students equipped for cross-cultural
exchanges, particularly in urban settings. Women and minority
candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 522359 at facultycareers.fiu.edu and attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and commitment to diversity statement (see go.fiu.edu/diversitystatement for guidelines) as a single pdf file. Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three references who will be contacted upon as determined by the search committee. To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by December 3rd, 2020. Review will continue until position is filled. Please send inquiries to Dr. Emily Dare at email@example.com.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.