Assistant Director of the Trone Student Center
Assistant Director of the Trone Student Center
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-294-2217.
Assistant Director of the Trone Student Center
Trone Student Center
The Assistant Director of the Trone Student Center is an integral part of the daily operation of the Office of Student Involvement and Inclusion (OSII), as well as the Division of Student Life. As the center of student activity for Furman University, the Trone Student Center provides programs, services and facilities to enhance the campus life experience for students and others in the University community. The Trone Student Center is a multi-purpose facility with over 75,000 gross square feet of public space, including a multi-purpose room, meeting rooms, theater, food court, gaming space, office spaces, and vendor space. Under the supervision of the Director of Student Involvement and Inclusion, the Assistant Director is responsible for Trone Student Center operations and the supervision and development of the student and facilities staff. The Assistant Director also advises the Furman University Student Activities Board (FUSAB) and the Student Media Board.
Additionally, the Assistant Director will collaborate with colleagues in the Office of Student Involvement and Inclusion to further its strategic initiatives related to diversity and inclusion, new student orientation, programming, leadership development and student organization support. In so doing, the Assistant Director will support the mission of the OSII to create a vibrant campus in which students enjoy a broad experience within a close-knit community. Finally, the Assistant Director will support the mission and learning outcomes of the Division of Student Life.
Trone Student Center Operations & Management
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the Trone Student Center and associated spaces.
- Meet with event sponsors (students, faculty, staff, vendors and other external clients) to outline event plans and ensure execution of event plans to the clients' satisfaction. Planning includes room set-ups, technical and audiovisual needs, and food and beverage arrangements, as well as other amenities required of the client or program. Advise clients of resources available in the Trone Student Center and offers best options for the production of events.
- Ensure staffing as necessary for on-site event management for major events, with special focus on high quality service standards and customer satisfaction.
- Establish guidelines and procedures for event management, focusing on, but not limited to, high standards of customer service and high quality standards for facilities, equipment, and furniture.
- Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, managing, and evaluating Student Building Managers, Student Information Desk staff, and additional student support staff as needed. Provide initial and ongoing training for staff members, as well as provide ongoing student developmental and leadership opportunities. Develop and maintain weekly staffing schedules to ensure coverage. Serve as on-call assistance to staff.
- In collaboration with the Director, develop and administer policies and procedures for the Trone Student Center, including the assessment of fines and the disciplining of student groups who do not follow policy. Ensure smooth and coordinated operations and high standards of performance and customer service in all areas.
- Manage, update and coordinate Trone Student Center reservation system, processes, and policies, including the oversight and supervision of the Student Reservations Assistant(s), who process Trone Student Center reservations through the 25-Live computerized reservation system.
- Maintain Trone Student Center equipment inventory, including audiovisual equipment, tables, chairs, and other items/equipment in the Trone Student Center.
- Assist the Director in developing and maintaining furniture and equipment repair and replacement schedules and deferred maintenance schedules, coordinating with Student Life leadership for planning and execution of projects.
- Provide technical expertise related to the departmental audiovisual operations, to include training staff on sound, lights, computer technology and any other equipment used regularly. Keep abreast of enhanced technology used for special events, theater and outdoor concert venues and upgrading the University's equipment to meet standards.
- Assist Facilities Services in supervising the custodial staff to ensure cleanliness and upkeep of the Trone Student Center. Provide ongoing training, ensure adequate supplies are maintained, conduct regular evaluations and facility inspections, maintain daily schedules and schedule staff for special events. Serve as the liaison to Facilities Services management to maintain communication and direction regarding custodians.
- Serve as a liaison to the Conference and Event Services staff.
- Conduct regular operations meetings to ensure coordination between Trone Student Center administration, audiovisual technical support, facility set-up staff, catering, custodial staff, building management staff and other support services.
- Maintain Trone Student Center web presence. Ensure websites contain current information and are updated regularly.
- Support digital signage throughout the Trone Student Center with current information; maintain a system of information input such that student organizations and campus departments can utilize digital signage for marketing purposes.
- Serve on the University Space Usage Committee.
Student Organization Advisement and Programming
- Assist with the coordination of OSII-sponsored programming and events, including but not limited to, Furman Fridays, bi-weekly DJ Trivia, and mid-term/finals week programming. Develop additional programming as needed.
- Serve as advisor to the Furman University Student Activities Board (FUSAB); attend weekly meetings, advise student leadership in the daily operations of the organization, and serve as a liaison between FUSAB and the administration.
- Serve as the fiscal officer for FUSAB, ensuring that all fiduciary commitments and budgetary obligations are met.
- Serve as Chair of the Student Media Board, which oversees the operations of The Paladin (newspaper), Bonhomie (yearbook), Echo (literary magazine), Furman University News Channel, and WPLS Radio Station. Maintain budget files and records as needed and provide advisor support to individual organization advisors.
- Serve as a consultant for student organization leaders providing guidance on University policies, best practices, vendor and venue recommendations, and planning resources.
- Assist in the development of assessment plans, strategic thinking and planning, learning outcomes, and goals and objectives coordinated with the mission and vision statements of the University, the Division of Student Life, and the Office of Student Involvement and Inclusion.
- Work closely with OSII staff in the implementation of strategies initiatives and departmental programs.
- Serve as a Level One On-Call Crisis Responder for the Division of Student Life (24-hour on-call rotation).
- Serve on the Student Conduct Board.
- Supervise graduate interns as appropriate.
- Serve on other campus committees as assigned.
- Conduct professional development activities, with approval by the Director, and maintains volunteer activities with a chosen professional association as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director in support of the goals and objectives of the department and the Division of Student Life.
- Complete performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and University goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Involvement and Inclusion in support of the goals and objectives of the department and the Division of Student Life. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, students, and student workers to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with other departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information related to mutual goals.
Routinely handles confidential information.
Routine contact with parents and the general public to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Reviews work to ensure compliance with procedures and deadlines.
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors may be detected within the department or section in which they occur, but may affect the work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
Director, Office of Student Involvement and Inclusion
Work is performed independently on routine work, non-routine issues or questions are referred to the supervisor.
Master's degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education Administration, Counseling or other related field required.
1-2 years of experience with student union and/or facility management experience required (graduate work may be considered), 3-5 years of experience preferred.
Experience with and comprehensive knowledge of audiovisual equipment and technology required.
Experience with supervising students preferred.
Experience with student organization advising preferred.
Experience in event planning preferred.
Must have excellent organizational skills and strong communication skills.
Customer service oriented.
Ability to interact with a diverse population and maintain a positive attitude in time of crisis.
Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, as well as strong attention to detail and the ability to function effectively as part of a team.
Understanding of the importance of student learning outcomes and assessment.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Assistant-Director-of-the-Trone-Student-Center_R001035
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.