Director of Shared Research Facilities - WVU Research Office
The WVU Research Office is seeking candidates for the Director of Shared Research Facilities (SRF). Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Research Development, this position will manage both the day-to-day operations and long-term visioning for the Shared Research Facilities. https://sharedresearchfacilities.wvu.edu/ . The Director will be responsible for the portfolio of instrumentation and services provided by the WVU SRF which is comprised of four core facilities: the BioNano Facilities; the Cleanroom Facilities; the Electron Microscopy Facilities; and the Materials Characterization Facilities, all staffed by four core managers and assistant staff. The SRF currently has a user base of over 200 faculty, postdoctoral, and student users.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Oversee and coordinate shared instrumentation, ensuring that instrumentation is working within specifications and is operating with maximal availability,
- Develop and implement standard policies and procedures for the SRF operations, including scheduling and user fee accounting.
- Manage the SRF staff, including annual evaluation, professional development and mentoring of existing staff and hiring of new staff.
- Mentor cost effectiveness and manage budgets, and internal and external fee recovery.
- Oversee user training is commensurate with the educational mission of a university.
- Collaborate with the University users and SRF staff in the development of new techniques, plans for instrumentation upkeep and replacement and the development of proposals for new instrument acquisition.
- Develop a strategic plan in coordination with university leadership to keep the SRF viable and expand its effectiveness for the entire WVU research community.
- Master's degree in science or engineering.
- Ph.D. in science or engineering preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in relevant lab techniques and research equipment including prior management experience.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated management experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with faculty and students in a variety of disciplines.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, a resume, a list of major research instrumentation with which you are proficient, indicating the level of proficiency and the names and contact information of three references. Review of applications will begin December 7, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Job Posting: Nov 5, 2020 Posting Classification: Research Corporation Exemption Status: Exempt Benefits Eligible: Yes Schedule: Full-time