Associate Director, Center for Humanities Research
Associate Director, Center for Humanities Research
George Mason University’s Center for Humanities Research invites applications for a full-time Associate Director. The Associate Director will work closely with the Director and steering committee to plan and execute all Center activities, take a lead in writing grant proposals on behalf of the CHR, manage the budget, and oversee day-to-day functioning of the Center. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Purpose of the Organization:
Chartered in 2020, The Center for Humanities Research (CHR) is premised on the idea that humanities research thrives when scholars engage in intellectual exchange. The CHR will serve as an incubator for humanities research and a space for scholarly exchange at Mason, fostering research partnerships and collaborations with various disciplines and units. By collaborating with the many publicly supported cultural, policy, and educational institutions in the Washington DC region, the CHR will demonstrate that research in the humanities is, by definition, “engaged scholarship” playing a crucial role in addressing society’s most pressing social, civic, political, and ethical challenges. By demonstrating the humanities’ critical engagement with the world beyond academia’s walls, the CHR will make the case for a commitment to the ideal of knowledge as a shared and public good.
Grant Writing and Other Funding responsibilities:
- Research external funding opportunities, organize grant-writing activity, and manage grants;
- Research, prepare, and submit proposals for funding in coordination with the CHSS development office and the university’s CFR team.
Research Administration/Budget responsibilities:
- Manage the Center’s budget, in collaboration with the Director;
- Coordinate financial and research progress reporting;
- Coordinate with the Office of Sponsored Programs and post-award support personnel across academic units;
- Work with humanities faculty to coordinate and support interdisciplinary research and educational initiatives.
Community and Institutional Outreach responsibilities:
- Assist the Director in developing partnerships in the community and in maintaining relationships with local and national partners in humanities research and advocacy.
Website and Social Media responsibilities:
- Oversee and update the CHR website with news and events;
- Manage CHR’s twitter and Instagram accounts.
Symposia and Event Planning responsibilities:
- Play an active role in the symposia and event planning, arranging travel for participants, securing needed additional space on campus, organizing catering and publicizing the event;
- Facilitate with online platforms to support the organization and hosting of virtual events.
- Facilitate application process for internal fellowships and small grants;
- Assist the Director in preparation of the annual report summarizing the work of the Center as part of the renewal process;
- Supervise student workers or wage employees.
- M.A. degree in a humanities-related field;
- Exceptional oral, written, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrated experience working in a project management position;
- Proven grant-writing ability;
- Budget management experience;
- Excellent relationship-building and communication skills;
- Experience with Wordpress (to manage website);
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-through.
- Ph.D. in Humanities-related field;
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders including university faculty, students, donors and business professionals;
- Experience working in an academic research or policy environment;
- Experience with fundraising;
- Demonstrated success in grant-writing.
George Mason University is Virginia’s largest public research university, with an R-1 rating and is committed to welcoming students, faculty and staff who enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment. Mason was recently named the most diverse university in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report. Our students represent all races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, sexual orientation, and gender identities and hail from over 130 countries. In keeping with our commitment to diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism, we are devoted to increasing access to excellence in ways that set us apart from many of our peers. In a continuing effort to enrich GMU’s academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, we actively encourage applications from members of all ethnic groups underrepresented in higher education.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA30HZ at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, a list of three professional references with contact information, transcripts, and a writing sample, preferably something specific to the position, such as a successfully funded grant. Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2020.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Research Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax
- Grants & Contracts Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Fairfax