Post-Doctoral Teaching Fellow of Applied Sociology
The department of Applied Sociology & Criminal Justice at Dixie State University in St. George, Utah, invites applicants for a full-time, two-year position as Post-Doctoral Teaching Fellow of Applied Sociology, for the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years. The position is well-suited for an individual who wishes to prepare for a career of teaching at a primarily undergraduate institution that emphasizes excellence in teaching. More information about the program can be found online at https://sociology.dixie.edu/ .
- Teach 30 credit hours of lower- and upper-division lecture courses each academic year, including Introduction to Sociology, Social Problems, Race and Ethnicity, Sex and Gender, Organizations, as well as additional needed courses within the sociology curriculum.
- Maintain standard faculty duties, such as holding regular office hours and be available to students and other faculty; attend department, division, and college faculty meetings; work with other faculty in program management; adhere to university policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Sociology or closely related field from an accredited college or university required. Preference will be given to those applicants who were recently awarded (within the last two years), or are about to earn, a Ph.D. in Sociology. ABD may be considered if degree is awarded prior to August 2021.
- Commitment to, and evidence of, excellence in undergraduate teaching.
- Eager and able to engage with colleagues, staff and administrators to develop ways to improve the educational experience of DSU students, within the program, department, and college.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: Full-time (9-month) non-tenure-track faculty position, with a two-year contract. Faculty service begins August 2021, with pay & benefits starting July 1, 2021. Annual salary of $44,000 - $47,000, depending on qualifications and experience; additional compensation available for summer/overload teaching. Excellent benefits package included - see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under “Example of DSU Benefits” for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins January 11, 2021 ;position open until filled. Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references (including email addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (approximately one page, single-spaced, about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all of the requested documents when you submit your application. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a background check. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of "active learning. active life" and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to providing students with an active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State currently has approximately 12,000 students and has been a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education over the last several years. We offer over 210 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - firstname.lastname@example.org , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - email@example.com , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, firstname.lastname@example.org , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, email@example.com , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.