Extension Agent, Mining and Industrial Extension - Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and
Appointee will be responsible for:
- Instructing Mine Rescue and Fire Brigade classes; Assist in First Responder Fire classes, SCSR/Smoke Expectation classes and all associated tasks;
- Assist with developing and conducting Mine Emergency Response Development (MERD) exercises.
- Conducting West Virginia Mine Foreman instruction.
- Helping to further develop all associated training programs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently develop training scenarios and instruct Mine Rescue and Fire Brigade classes at our simulated mine in Core, WV, at the MSHA Academy in Beckley, WV, and at mine sites.
- Assist in developing training scenarios for MERD exercises that follow the appropriate State and Federal laws.
- Instruct West Virginia Mine Foreman classes where they are needed.
- Assist with First Responder Fire and SCSR/Smoke Expectation classes.
- Perform all associated tasks which include setting up and tearing down: the simulated mine, mobile props and the department's mobile smoke trailer.
- Assist in developing new training programs and improving existing ones.
- Must be able to demonstrate proper use of all mine rescue and fire training equipment such as SCBA, fire extinguishers, charged fire hose and foam.
- Must be able to wear and instruct on the proper use of all existing SCSR's used in underground coal mines.
- Have the ability to go underground to improve training and make audits.
- Must be able to wear SCBA's, mine rescue apparatus and bunker gear.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must be self motivated and enthusiastic.
- Demonstrate understanding of all aspects of mine rescue for underground coal mines.
- Ability to lift forty (40) pounds; be able to stand or walk for up to eight (8) hours on uneven surfaces; capable of kneeling or crawling while wearing respiratory devices and bunker gear.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and implement a new course lesson plan.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage time and schedule effectively.
- Ability to work in a group.
- Ability to travel with a valid driver's license.
- Must demonstrate the ability to operate a Computer.
To apply for this position, visit https://careers.wvu.edu/. Applicants must submit a cover letter highlighting their qualifications for the position, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references. Review of applications will begin December . Only candidates who submit complete documentation will be considered in the review process.
For further information, please contact Staci Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the MIE website at https://mindext.statler.wvu.edu/ .
- Bachelor of Science degree and five (5) years of underground coal mining experience; or, An Associate degree and ten (10) years underground coal mining experience.
- Additionally, the candidate must have at least five (5) years' experience on a mine rescue team or an underground fire brigade team.
- MSHA or West Virginia mine rescue instructor's card is required.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at https://talentandculture.wvu.edu/
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Other Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown