Telecom Tech 2 - (STA006621)
Under general supervision, responsible for moderately complex tasks relating to telecommunication network monitoring, operations, installation, and maintenance.
- Installs, replaces, trouble-shoots, tests, repairs and maintains telecommunication equipment and hardware supporting networks.
- Installs, replaces, trouble-shoots, tests, repairs and configures wireless access points and participates in surveys, mapping and documentation.
- Configures and maintains phone switches. Performs telephony moves, additions and changes. Performs maintenance and upkeep of telephone instruments.
- Trouble-shoots and performs switch configurations, port consolidations and installs switches, routers and components on equipment racks.
- Provides customer and operational support. May work with outside vendors to coordinate support for existing and/or new devices and systems.
- Collaborates with members of department work groups to provide internal work status updates and reports as required to meet customer satisfaction initiatives.
- May provide assistance in the field to lower level technicians and reinforce training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
18 months and 1 year experience.
Requires specialized training in basic trades, principles, procedures, practice, routines or techniques in a specific area or trade which might normally be acquired through up to 18 months of education or training beyond the high school level. Vocational competence in the operation of mechanical or electronic equipment may be required.
Requires a minimum of one (1) year of directly job-related experience.
Requires a valid Texas Driver's License.
Additional Information/ Preferred Qualifications:
Perform installation and troubleshooting of Security Cameras, DSC Security panels and peripherals as well as network wiring.
Will also install, terminate, test and turn up of fiber optic cables and assemblies as well has hybrid power fiber and associated systems. A working knowledge of low voltage DC power systems is a plus. Knowledge of legacy phone system technology is also a plus.
This position will entail fiber optic splicing and termination as well as copper termination and testing. Proficiency in the use of an OTDR, FO Power Meter and Fluke tester is necessary.
The work will entail routinely working at heights in the 8 to 15-foot range, primarily from ladders and scaffolds but will include bucket truck and roof locations on occasions.
Should be trained and familiar with BICSI standards and procedures as it relates to OSP wiring, conduits, manholes and overhead work.
Note: This position will require being on an on-call rotation with the other technicians on the team.