Campus Safety Coordinator
The Campus Safety Coordinator serves as the initial point of contact for inquiries to the Campus Safety Office and works to ensure a welcoming and responsive customer service experience with every interaction. The Coordinator provides guidance to visitors and guests of Bennington College and serves as a knowledgeable resource for the campus community. The Coordinator is responsible for responding to inquiries over the telephone and in person, providing routine and emergency dispatch services for the Office - informing officers/staff in the field of calls/service needs. The Coordinator also handles administrative responsibilities such as managing calendars, drafting/editing correspondence, and tracking/compiling relevant data and statistics required for federal and related reporting purposes. Of critical importance is the ability to communicate clearly and well, to remain calm under pressure and to obtain/share accurate and detailed information; the coordinator is responsible for ensuring an expedient response to service calls and a positive guest/visitor experience.
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnic/racial minorities, international and global constituents, sexual minorities, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, and power through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
The full-time position works Tuesday through Saturday, 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm.
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource for information on campus facilities and events. Maintain an accurate list of campus resource contact points and develop/build/maintain strong and positive working relationships with same. As directed, update and manage student visitor database, daily dispatcher log of campus safety operation, and electronic daily shift log.
- Maintain the van reservation program and the College’s approved driver list. Process reservation requests, update van reservation log, assign driver coverage and communicate status of reservation to requestor. Prepare reserved vehicles for checkout and complete inspection form upon return.
- Maintain confidentiality in the execution of all Campus Safety responsibilities. Prioritize and respond to calls in stressful situations; articulate pertinent details to Campus Safety officers and/or emergency services personnel as needed.
- Provide dispatch services to the Campus Safety Office. Track/monitor new directives, daily tasks, and ad hoc requests. Inform the Campus Safety Officer(s) and other appropriate personnel of inquiries and pertinent details.
- Maintain the Campus Safety dispatcher log in a timely manner to include all relevant Campus Safety operations in a given shift. Ensure integrity of the log in compliance with Campus Safety practices/policy.
- Handle signing in and out of keys. Maintain lost and found.
- Diligently monitor foot and vehicle traffic in/around the main campus area. Remain aware of surroundings at all times to be able to effectively respond to a variety of situations. Report concerning incidents to Officer on duty.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Demonstrated successful administrative and customer service experience required.
- Extraordinary verbal communication skills. Demonstrated ability to accept sensitive information and to facilitate initial handling/processing while maintaining confidentiality. Able to interact, communicate and build/maintain effective professional relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization as well as guests/visitors and the general public.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel), Gmail/Google docs and calendars, and Internet research. Able to learn new programs (i.e. SchoolDude, Report Exec) as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate and facilitate work independently in an organized manner and with limited supervision. Work requires strong attention to detail, ability to use good judgment in decision-making and ability to manage effectively under stress. Must be flexible to changing priorities, able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple, competing tasks and demands.
- Must be able to remain calm during stressful situations and accept sensitive or confidential information appropriately.
- Must have a high attention to detail and be able to work independently with limited supervision.
- The position requires the successful completion and acceptable results of a background check.
Majority of work performed in office environment with substantial activities completed using a computer. Work is basically sedentary. Some standing, bending reaching, stooping, walking, pushing, pulling and climbing stairs may be required. Campus Safety staff members are considered essential staff and as such are expected to work overnight, weekends and holidays as needed/scheduled.
Working conditions and physical demands
This position is primarily sendentary. Work requires standing, bending, reaching, stooping, climbing stairs, walking, and driving. Occasional long shifts and overtime required.