Campus Safety Officer
The Campus Safety Officer is responsible for the safety and security of College property, facilities, students, employees, and visitors. Officers respond to and address safety and security-related concerns (both the routine and emergencies) and ensure policies and procedures are followed. Campus Safety Officers support and interact with the entire College community including students, faculty and staff.
Bennington’s Campus Safety approach is one of harm and risk-reduction, and is focused on finding the learning moments possible in any given interaction and honoring student growth and development. This approach is applied to all aspects of student engagement including all policy enforcement and general service requests.
Bennington serves a diverse student population - inclusive of ethnic/racial minorities, international and global constituents, sexual minorities, and various social classes, among other identities. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, and power through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
The schedule for this full-time (40 hours/week) position is: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday from 12:00 am to 8:00 am and Friday, Saturday from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am; shift differential eligible.
- Perform safety patrols in vehicle and on foot. Secure buildings and property.
- Enforce safety, traffic, and parking regulations and protect College property from crime, fire, vandalism and accidents.
- Report problems observed or informed of to the appropriate department.
- Provide timely response to service calls including, but not limited to, transportation or escort assistance, security service calls, and vehicle assistance.
- Act as a First Responder during emergencies and serve as the liaison between the College and outside agencies such as law enforcement, fire, or EMS.
- As needed, investigate incidents and draft report of findings.
- High school graduate or equivalency required. Campus safety and/or law enforcement experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license. Successful completion and results of a background/DMV check required. Current certification in First Aid and Adult CPR with AED preferred.
- Must be able to walk for extended periods of time to conduct patrols of foot in both heat and cold. Must be able to climb several flights of stairs repeatedly.
- Must be willing to travel to attend training courses as assigned.
- Officers are considered essential staff and as such are expected to work overnight, weekends and holidays as needed/scheduled.
- Computer proficiency with desired preference using MS Office, and Google Suite. Ability to adapt to and use changing technology.
- Must be effective and work well in a collaborative environment. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to set priorities and multi-task in a fast-paced setting required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required, including ability to negotiate and resolve conflict. Able to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to remain calm during stressful situations and accept sensitive or confidential information appropriately.
- Must have a high attention to detail and be able to work independently with limited supervision.
Working conditions and physical demands
This position primarily works both inside and outdoors and may be exposed to inclement weather, extreme temperatures and unpredictable situations. Work requires standing, bending, reaching, stooping, climbing stairs, walking, and driving. Work may involve strenuous physical activity/contact. Occasional long shifts and overtime required.