Director of Libraries
The University of Jamestown invites applications for the position of Director of Libraries to begin in the summer of 2021. The Director leads the libraries in their mission to meet the needs of a university spread across two physical campuses and into cyberspace, articulates a strategic vision, and serves as an advocate for the libraries within the university and larger community.
The Director of Libraries is the chief administrator for the university’s libraries, which includes Raugust Library in Jamestown, Zaruba Library in Fargo, the digital collections for the university students online, and the University Archives. The Director of Libraries reports to the Provost and is responsible for the successful administration of the libraries in accordance with the mission of the University of Jamestown and its policies and procedures. The Director holds faculty status.
The Director provides strategic, operational, and collaborative leadership for the libraries. S/he
- Facilitates the continuing transformation of the libraries into a knowledge commons that integrates diverse resources, seeks new opportunities, engages with the community, collaborates with university units, and sustains a vibrant learning community.
- Creates an environment that facilitates research and scholarly activity with an understanding of innovative and traditional methods of information dissemination.
- Establishes a shared vision that promotes the university’s and the libraries’ missions and strategic plans.
- Supports a culture of collegiality that is supportive of professional advancement.
- Fosters an organizational and educational climate that promotes and celebrates diversity.
- Communicates internally and externally the activities of the libraries.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with students, faculty, staff, administrators, and community.
- Works with library staff and academic department chairs to identify, evaluate, and implement programs that improve services and enhance the quality of resources.
- Functions as chief fiscal officer for the libraries and provides clear communication about the budget.
- Acts as an advocate for the libraries and their faculty and staff.
- Promotes the libraries, formally and informally, to the university, community and the world.
- Participates actively in local, state, and national library organizations.
A master’s degree in Library Science or similar area of study is required; an additional advanced degree is preferred. Previous experience and evidence of increasing levels of responsibility in a university library are required.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, c.v., and contact information for at least three professional references to Rachel Holsten, Assistant to the Provost, 6092 College Lane, Jamestown, ND, 58405. Electronic submissions are preferred and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Established as Jamestown College in 1883 by members of the Presbyterian Church, the University of Jamestown is a private, liberal arts university granting Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing degrees as well as master’s degrees in Education, Leadership, and Clinical Counseling and a Fargo-based Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. The University of Jamestown is an AA/EO employer.