Director - Academic Support Services
Harold Washington College (HWC) is one of the seven City Colleges of Chicago. HWC is located in the Chicago Loop and serves nearly 11,000 students. HWC is a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Minority Serving Institution (MSI) with more than 70 percent Latinx or Black students. The college offers an exceptional liberal arts and sciences curriculum and programs in Business, Early Childhood, Architecture, and Digital Media. HWC is City Colleges' Center for Business. The college is also home to the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program and is currently the only community college in the city to offer a business degree accessible entirely online. In addition, the college has program partnerships with leading industry organizations such as Aon, Year Up Chicago, DePaul University, and the Joffrey Ballet.
Reporting to an Associate Dean of Instruction at an assigned college, the Director of Academic Support Services is responsible for developing robust academic support services and other data-driven strategies to impact student success. The position will develop content for tutoring and other supplemental instructional programs for students in need of academic support. Will direct the delivery of quality tutoring programs and wrap-around services. The position works collaboratively with college administrators, faculty and managers from areas of Enrollment Management, Student Retention and Success and Student Affairs to establish processes to identify “at risk” students and to develop intervention strategies for engaging students in obtaining tutoring and other support services needed for academic success. Performs related duties as required.
Tutoring and other academic support services play a key role in the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) Student Retention and Success initiatives. Each college within the District has its own distinctive structure and models for providing tutoring and other services that best meet the needs of its students, with all colleges providing tutoring centers staffed by professional and peer tutors that offer a range of tutoring services and programs in content areas across the curriculum including math, reading and writing, sciences, and foreign languages.
- Supervises tutors and other positions accountable for
overseeing the day to day operations of college's tutoring centers
including the Math, Writing and Reading, and General Tutoring
Centers. Ensures centers are adequately staffed to meet tutoring
needs of students in various subject areas and disciplines.
- Coordinates work efforts with District level managers to
develop and implement key performance measures to evaluate the
quality and effectiveness of tutoring programs and services, to
identify potential gaps in services, and to implement change to
improve the performance and quality of tutoring services.
- Interviews and provides final recommendations for the selection
and hiring of professional and peer tutors. Establishes performance
measures and prepares performance evaluations for staff. Represents
the college at employee disciplinary hearings; administers
disciplinary actions as required; and recommends termination of
employment when appropriate.
- Supports the development of an annual strategic plan and budget
in the area of Academic Support Services. Monitors expenditures to
ensure adherence to the budget and resources needed to support all
- Reviews student data using various reporting systems to
identify trends and evaluate factors such as enrollment levels,
retention rates and learning outcomes to assess the academic
progress and success rate of students in completing courses and
progressing towards completion/graduation.
- Prepares periodic departmental reports to college and District
- Works with Coordinators and college administrators in
establishing policy and procedure manuals for tutoring programs,
developing guidelines, and creating instructional materials and
other resources to support tutoring services.
- Creates professional development and on-going training to
ensure tutors are providing quality customer service and are
current on new initiatives from the college and the District
- Provides tutoring centers and tutors with the needed resources
to assist students in achieving a better understanding of specific
subject material, improve academic capabilities, and develop study
skills necessary for academic success.
- Works with faculty to refer and engage students to tutoring
through early warning system.
- Prepares a comprehensive assessment plan to determine the
effectiveness of tutors and tutoring in various disciplines.
- Collaborates with District personnel, faculty, and college
administrators to support early alert campaign initiatives.
- Provides analysis and assessment to support faculty in
identifying “at risk” students and initiating early alert
procedures to provide students with needed tutoring and other
- Collaborates with faculty to develop and implement an imbedded
tutoring model to serve as supplemental instruction to improve
course success rates.
- Coordinates work efforts with Enrollment Management, Marketing
and other stakeholders to develop outreach and communications
campaigns to increase student awareness and engagement in tutoring
programs and services.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in
Education, Counseling or a related field
- Two to five years of work experience in student affairs,
student development, or in a related area in a higher education
student services environment
- Experience working with tutoring or academic support services
in a multi-site community college setting in an urban environment
is highly desirable
- Experience in using academic technologies such as PeopleSoft
student information systems, tutoring management systems and early
alert systems is desirable
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into
consideration based on the applicant's credentials
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago