Skills Tutor (Part Time)
Harold Washington College (HWC) is one of the seven City Colleges of Chicago. HWC is located in the Chicago Loop and serves nearly 11,000 students. HWC is a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Minority Serving Institution (MSI) with more than 70 percent Latinx or Black students. The college offers an exceptional liberal arts and sciences curriculum and programs in Business, Early Childhood, Architecture, and Digital Media. HWC is City Colleges' Center for Business. The college is also home to the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program and is currently the only community college in the city to offer a business degree accessible entirely online. In addition, the college has program partnerships with leading industry organizations such as Aon, Year Up Chicago, DePaul University, and the Joffrey Ballet.
A Tutor – Skills provides students with tutoring and instructional support in an academic or
occupational area of study to help improve their academic capabilities and progress
academically, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance.
Assists tutees in developing and improving their competency in course work; and help students
integrate and apply effective study skills, active reading and note-taking, test-taking strategies,
and time management and organizational skills to their specific courses.
Works with students in various programs across the colleges, providing individual and small
group tutoring in math, reading, writing, English, and other subject areas. Tutors also work
inside the classroom as embedded tutors; and provide on-line tutoring services to students
enrolled in distance learning courses. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis on a wide range of subjects in an academic or occupational area.
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of course materials and a better understanding of work assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee's weaknesses and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies including ways to improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective use of time, and how to build study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at a college's Tutoring/ Learning Resource/Academic Support Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific subject area, course or discipline.
- Assists the tutee in learning how to think (critical thinking) and problem solve in the context of a specific discipline or subject area.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students in common core standards and provide students with strategies to develop effective study habits and skills to improve academic capabilities.
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional development and training sessions to increase competency in subject areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on academic skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors and academic advisors regrading
- Associate's degree or higher from an accredited college or university in a field of study or occupational area related to the subject(s) being tutored. Additional requirements may be required depending on the assignment area.
- Completion of tutoring certification and previous tutoring experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago