Housing Community Service Officer (Full - Time)
*This is a full-time benefited position with rotating work hours, including weekends and evenings.*
The Housing Community Service Officer reports to the Captain of MLK Library Security and receives direction from the Sergeant. The Housing Community Service Officer is responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for the residents, guests, staff, and facilities of University Housing Services. The Housing Community Service Officer assists with providing public safety services for the SJSU residence community that houses approximately 4200 students, staff and families in two apartment buildings and four residence halls. The position works an alternate schedule that will include nights and weekends.
- Address Housing concerns as directed by University Housing Services Staff and University Police
- Encourage compliance with Housing policies
- Report suspected hazards and criminal behavior
- Provide assistance to patrons and staff as requested
- Respond to calls for services
- Checks-in regularly with Building Desk during shift
- Go on rounds with a building RA on Duty team on a rotating basis
- Serve as a police escort to residents
- Monitor parking garage in Campus Village B and issue tickets as needed for unauthorized vehicles
- Utilize the access card system to obtain information regarding resident entry and building access
- Utilize Closed Circuit Television surveillance system
- Monitor and Fire Safety Systems and Alarms
- Enter requests into TMA system regarding maintenance, facilities and security related issues
- Respond to alarms and emergency situations
- Assist University housing staff and University Police with crisis response as appropriate
- Serve on University Housing Services emergency preparedness and crisis response team
- Submit reports and provide updates regarding incidents
- Produce and enter reports into Maxient as needed
- Participate in regular meetings with Housing leadership team
- Work closely with SJSU Police department. Participate in SJSU Police training as appropriate
After appointment, Housing Community Service Officers must successfully complete the appropriate training program designed by the University Police Department.
The Housing Community Service Officer must have the ability to walk, stand, sit, see in appropriate color vision, hear in an appropriate range of sounds, balance, climb, twist, bend, and reach with hands and arms. Assignments will require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time, and may be indoors or outdoors. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment.
The work environment is a multi-story library building and the exterior walkways and access ways. Any indoor assignment may require standing, sitting, or walking for lengthy periods of time. Employees may be exposed to weather conditions and outdoor temperatures. Employees may be exposed to physical and verbal abuse where considerable self-control must be exercised. Some of the work may require considerable physical exertion and viewing of surveillance monitor equipment. Incumbents are assigned to shift work and rotated among various assignments.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to learn, quickly learn, understand, and apply specific Housing and San Jose State University regulations
- Ability to understand and apply local, state and federal laws
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn to use, applicable public safety equipment and systems
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to act calmly and rationally in emergency situations
- Ability to understand and operate a computer card key access station
- Ability to understand and operate fire safety and alarms systems
- Ability to learn Police 10 code
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural and socio-economic community environment.
- Ability to monitor/access CCTV screens
- Ability to possess a valid California Driver’s license
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid California Driver’s License
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Six month previous police/security/military law enforcement training and/or experience
- Library Security experience
- Customer Services experience
- Strong written communication skills
Classification: Community Service Specialist I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,110/month
Hiring Range: $2,705/month - $4,501/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 10, 2020 through November 29, 2020 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: November 10, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Facilities Management & Physical Plant Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose