Chief Audit Executive
Norfolk State University (NSU), through exemplary teaching, scholarship and outreach, transforms lives and communities by empowering individuals to maximize their potential, creating life-long learners equipped to be engaged leaders and productive global citizens.
The Department of Internal Auditing functions as an independent appraisal activity and assists executive management and the University’s Board of Visitors in decision making by performing objective and comprehensive audits, and systematically reviews operational activities, financial transactions, and information systems. The department invites applicants to the position of Chief Audit Executive.
This senior level position provides, to executive management and the University’s Board of Visitors, direction and management of a comprehensive, independent, auditing and appraisal program, consisting of complex academic, financial, and information technology operations and programs. The Chief Audit Executive serves as internal audit director, and provides expertise in coordinating and administering the Internal Auditing Department, with varying levels of internal audits (financial, compliance, operational, and information systems), special projects, and administrative functions. The Chief Audit Executive provides leadership and direction to the department, while ensuring audit operational objectives are in adherence to and compliance with regulatory standards and procedures.
Additionally, incumbent’s duties and responsibilities shall encompass the following:
1. Direct and develop a systematic disciplined approach to
evaluating and improving effectiveness of internal audits
2. Establish department strategy, objectives, and standards of performance, while maintaining continuous process improvement.
3. Develop process for reporting all audit findings which clearly articulate the risks and include recommendations which are documented and tracked accordingly.
4. Conduct annual risk assessment and develop or adjust a comprehensive audit plan based upon assessment results; provide leadership, guidance and direction to audit staff.
5. Serves as liaison with the Commonwealth of Virginia Office of the State Inspector General. Ensures departmental compliance with applicable state and federal policies and procedures, and applicable and industry auditing standards.
6. Develop and document procedures for selection of samples, retrieval and analysis of financial and operational data from technology assets and resources.
7. Assign and supervise internal audits of university records, information systems, and activities, in accordance with approved audit plan, to ensure planned objectives and deadlines are met; follows-up on reported deficiencies, and provides assurance that appropriate corrective actions are addressed and aligned with established timelines.
8. Develop programs and coordinates the performance of special projects assigned by the President or Board of Visitors.
Visit https://www.nsu.edu/president/internal-audit/index for additional information.
1. Considerable knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply
current accounting principles and auditing standards.
2. Considerable knowledge of information technology and financial resource data systems.
3. Skilled in the use of computer systems to include auditing software.
4. Ability to maintain a high degree of sensitivity and exercise discretion on confidential matters.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical matters, both verbally and in writing, to end users who have varied levels of understanding of subject matters.
6. Demonstrated ability to perform risk assessments and develop comprehensive audit plans.
7. Demonstrated ability to organize, set priorities, and manage multiple competing deadlines of internal/external programs simultaneously.
8. Demonstrated ability to supervise, direct, train, and evaluate the activities of staff.
9. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing and convey matters to large diverse audiences (students/faculty/staff).
10. Considerable senior or executive level experience, generally equating to five or more years, in internal auditing; Commonwealth of Virginia, municipality, or institution of higher education preferred.
11. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or similar discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
12. Possess industry standard certification; Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Pubic Accountant (CPA) strongly preferred.
NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
ON-LINE APPLICATION ONLY WILL BE ACCEPTED.
1. Candidates MUST show interest by submitting, in its entirety online, an application and all required application material.
2. Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring application and material thoroughly reflects their knowledge, skills, and abilities, as it relates to the advertised qualifications.
3. A complete application, including all previous employment and education, for full consideration, MUST be received online by 11:59PM of the “Job Close Date.”
4. Applicants who list “see resume” or “see Curriculum Vitae” in lieu of completing the application WILL NOT be considered.
5. NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign an Authorization to release form.
6. NSU utilizes Form I-9 and E-Verify to validate eligibility for employment
Office of Human Resources 757-823-8160