Director of Communications
We encourage applications for a Director of Communications who will be responsible for the execution of the Crown Institute objective and metrics as they relate to our marketing and communications strategy and goals, and the development of communications assets and other materials. We seek someone with experience and expertise in storytelling, creative direction, and design strategy. Ultimately, this role will support all aspects of our marketing and communications operations and play a major role in growing awareness of the Crown Institute.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Renée Crown Wellness Institute (the Crown Institute) is an interdisciplinary research institute committed to promoting the mental health and wellness of children, youth, and the families and educators who support them. Current key areas of research include the study of mindfulness, compassion, belonging, and agency. Our key research areas aim to address disparities in mental health, wellness, and education due to gender, race, ethnicity, linguistic diversity, geography, income, and other structural and systemic inequities.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Contribute to strategy development: Work with Associate Director and Director to establish communication goals, strategies, tactics and metrics that advance the mission of the Renée Crown Wellness Institute, inclusive of Institute-driven studies and projects and focusing on critical internal and external audiences.
- Develop communications plan: Set tactics across all communication channels (e.g. CU Boulder platforms; Crown website, blog, social media and email newsletter; Study websites and associated digital activities; traditional media; lectures and presentations), using Crown activities (e.g. project launches, courses, events, annual reporting) and study activities (e.g. presentations, courses, and related materials).
- Drive implementation of the plan: Develop content and communications tools (copy and design) as well as manage the creative development and production of content by others (communication firms, freelance contributors) across all communications formats: print, digital, video, environmental.
- Drive evaluation of plan: Set and track metrics for all communications activities, using digital analytics for digital activities.
- Hold network of relationships: Maintain generative relationships with key partners across the Institute’s work, including those driving the Institute’s studies as well as the Strategic Relations Office, Office of Advancement Communications Department, and peer institutions.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary is $70,000.00, commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field.
Five or more years of professional experience in areas including one or more of the following:
- Writing and Editing; Graphic Design
- Public Relations
- Professional use of social media
- Experience working with both web and print-based media
- Google Analytics and other marketing measurement tools
- Project management experience including the ability to set and meet deadlines and track project progress, communicating scheduling challenges during project management.
- Experience working collaboratively with communications teams, community partners, and diverse partners in an academic setting
What You Will Need
Alignment with Crown’s vision and mission:
- Broad understanding of the importance of mental health, education, community-engaged, and academic research environments.
- Deep commitment to anti-racism that is reflected in communications and highlights our values around inclusion and equity.
- Strong recognition of the role of communication in the overall success of the Crown Institute.
Excellence in integrity, responsibility, and ethics:
- Organizational skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Proactive planning including the ability to anticipate needs and see potential problems before they arise.
- Exceptional attention to detail, including the ability to input information accurately, communicate accurately in writing and verbally, prepare and maintain detailed records, files, and reports on an ongoing basis.
- Quickly learns and develops mastery in new software packages and other technologies to support Crown communications.
Time management skills:
- Ability to skillfully adapt to changing responsibilities in the position. Excellent time management skills, with the capacity to prioritize tasks and set deadlines, to attend to routine tasks, and to be responsive and flexible to emerging needs and priorities.
- Ability to thrive in a busy work environment that requires coordination of multiple activities and the judgment and flexibility to reprioritize to accommodate urgent needs.
- Flexibility and the willingness to work with study team members to shape and prioritize duties, share responsibilities, and tackle new challenges as the position evolves and develops.
Leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills:
- Strong leadership skills, ability to work autonomously, and to seek support and direction as appropriate.
- Excellent ability to embody and model a high degree of professionalism and integrity in relationships and to handle sensitive and confidential issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and capacity to communicate with poise with both study team personnel and external audiences.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team.
- Ability to encourage and support the expression of diverse viewpoints. Ability to engage in candid and constructive dialogue on difficult topics.
Commitment to innovation:
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills to identify problems and develop solutions effectively and proactively.
- Skilled at identifying areas within the organization where efficiency and effectiveness can be improved as they relate to internal and external communications.
- Ability to display initiative and introduce innovations to accelerate progress toward strategic vision and mission.
Commitment to inclusive excellence:
- Evidence of a strong orientation to equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism practices, and accessibility.
- Skilled at actively welcoming and encouraging participation of all members of Institute teams and communities.
- Understands and values the importance of honoring and integrating diverse perspectives. Openness and commitment to continuously build skills to identify and help mitigate personal and institutional biases and barriers to inclusion.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Background in working with youth, families, or communities.
- Experience with marketing and communications in research or higher education.
- Experience with customer relationship management tools and email marketing.
- Experience with graphic design.
- Experience with design tools or programs such as the following: Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat Adobe Photoshop Adobe Illustrator.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position and how your work would advance diversity, inclusion and equity within the Renée Crown Wellness Institute (the Crown Institute).
- PDF/Portfolio that demonstrates your work
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by Sunday, November 29th for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu