Posting Number S01318 Position Title Network Engineer Internal Position Title Network Engineer Department Core Systems & Infrastructure Position Type Staff Job Family Specialist Job Summary
The College of Lake County is currently looking for a Network Engineer to join our team. The Network Engineer understands networking technologies and trends; is well versed in implementing new technologies and protocols; architects, creates, maintains, upgrades, and monitors network systems for optimal availability and performance; and troubleshoots network issues at their root cause. This role reports to the Director, Core Systems and Infrastructure and performs their duties under the supervision of a Lead Network Engineer.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 13 paid holidays each year.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
• Bachelors Degree
Associates Degree with three years of full-time experience in an information technology role
Seven years of full-time experience in an information technology role
Graduate of CLC’s Computer Information Technology program with a 3.5 or higher GPA .
• Committed to keeping up-to-date with the changing networking landscape
• Experience in network design
• Experience with the TCP /IP suite of protocols.
• Understanding of IPv4 addressing and subnetting.
• Experience in maintaining and adding to the physical cable plant.
• Experience with various network services ( NAT, DHCP, DNS, NTP, SNMP, SFTP ).
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting Cisco IOS .
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting layer 2 switching including VLANs, dot1q trunks, EtherChannel and switched virtual Interfaces.
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting Cisco routers and layer 3 switches.
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting static routes, OSPF, and EIGRP protocols.
• Experience working with Cisco TAC, Cisco knowledge base, and Cisco toolsets
• Effective and polished verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of customers and a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Committed to keeping up-to-date with the ever-changing technology landscape.
• Reflect a positive, high-energy and professional demeanor
• Demonstrated ability to work well on and improve the performance of a team
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and deliver according to deadlines while handling multiple tasks, ability to exercise judgment, handle confidential information, and function with minimal supervision
• Demonstrated excellent organizational abilities and attention to detail
• Ability to cogently explain technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users
• Ability to problem-solve, analyze information to make informed decisions and/or recommendations
• Application of principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
• Ability to travel between campuses as needed.
• Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
• Cisco certifications or on track for certification
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting Palo Alto Firewalls and PAN -OS.
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting Cisco Wireless LAN controllers and unified access points.
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting VPN .
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting of Cisco Unified Communications products and endpoints in a SIP -Based VOIP environment.
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting BGP routing.
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting SDN /Cisco ACI .
• Experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting Cisco Hyperflex and VMWare ESXi.
• Higher Education experience ideally in a community college setting
• An innate focus on students and their success
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong analytical skills.
• An interest in improving existing processes and procedures on a continual basis.
• Ability to manage projects as needed.
• Bilingual, English and Spanish
Posting Date 11/09/2020 Closing Date 11/30/2020 Expected Start Date Special Instructions Summary Pay Rate $57,673 Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Location Grayslake Total Hours per week 40.00 Work Schedule
M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Software Testing Required None Interview Process Requirements None EEO Statement
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Under guidance of a supervisor, performs the following tasks:
Systems Administration and Maintenance (Percentage of Time: 50%)
• Administers network systems to ensure optimal design, usage, security, performance, and availability.
• Maintains, upgrades, and patches network components with minimal interruption to students, faculty, and staff.
• Creates and maintains network documentation, such as network diagrams and systems configurations, processes and procedures.
• Ensures best practices, processes, and techniques are used when administering technology solutions.
• Consistently monitor network for integrity, performance, and availability.
Support and Consulting (Percentage of Time: 20%)
• Addresses issues at their root level, using creative problem-solving techniques to achieve high-quality, highly efficient, highly effective resolutions.
• Proactively identifies potential issues and resolves them before they become an issue.
• Appropriately escalates issues to vendors and other College teams after an appropriate time or when issues require further expertise.
• Able to interact positively with both internal and external partners to achieve high satisfaction in both consulting and problem resolution situations
• Accurately documents and maintains all support requests and efforts in the ticket management system.
• Ensures support tickets are appropriately transferred, escalated, and closed.
• Keeps customers updated on the status of their open incidents.
• Ensures that customers are satisfied upon ticket closure.
Project Management (Percentage of Time: 20%)
• Able to manage multiple projects at once.
• Executes project plans according to schedule, with attention to communication, risk management, training, and ongoing support and maintenance; setting and meeting expectations for project progress and completion; and ensuring that project deliverables are complete, sufficient, and of high quality.
• Manages implementation of technology solutions, including the following elements:
o Architecture and Design
o Stakeholder communication
o Risk management
o Qualities of service, such as Security, Accessibility, Performance, Availability, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity, Manageability, and Monitoring.
o Ongoing budget
o Education and training
• Identifies, categorizes, and prioritizes CLC’s network needs, and researches, assesses, selects, acquires, and implements technology solutions that best satisfy those needs.
• Designs, develops, configures, integrates, installs and tests network systems
Other (Percentage of Time: 10%)
• Maintains and shares subject matter expertise, staying current on industry trends and emerging technologies, identifying opportunities for further research, establishing and maintaining relationships with industry and professional colleagues, and attending conferences and seminars in order to recommend new solutions in service of student success and faculty and staff effectiveness and efficiency, while enhancing systems design, usage, security, performance, and availability.
• Provides a consistent stream of new ideas to enhance the College’s network.
• Assists in the development of IT processes and procedures
• Proactively works with members of other departments to identify and implement key opportunities for operational improvements, especially with regards to processes and leverage of data/information.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree OR an Associate's Degree with
three years of full-time experience in an information technology
role OR Seven years of full-time experience in an information
technology role OR a Graduate of CLC’s Computer Information
Technology program with a 3.5 or higher GPA?
- * Do you have any Higher Education experience ideally in a
community college setting?
- * Do you have experience working with Cisco TAC, Cisco
knowledge base, and Cisco toolsets?
- * Do you have any Cisco certifications or on track for
- * Do you have experience in the configuration, management, and
troubleshooting of Cisco Unified Communications Products on a
SIP-Based VOIP environment?
- * Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1