Program Co-Leader, Cancer Biology
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F66800 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Program Co-Leader, Cancer Biology School/Unit School of Medicine Department Massey Cancer Center Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the School of Medicine is to provide preeminent education to physicians and scientists in order to improve the quality of health care for humanity. Through innovative, scholarly activity and a diverse educational context, the School seeks to create and apply new knowledge, and to provide and continuously improve systems of medical and science education. Furthermore, it is our mission to develop more effective health care practices to address the needs of the diverse populations we serve, and to provide distinguished leadership in the advancement of medicine and science.
The mission of the Massey Cancer Center is to serve as a comprehensive center of excellence in cancer research, prevention and control, patient care and education. Our guiding principles are to make important discoveries about cancer and to translate these discoveries rapidly into better prevention, detection, treatment and control of cancer to enhance the quality of life of all individuals affected by cancer.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We invite you to apply for the position of Program Leader, Cancer Biology. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Program Leader for the Cancer Biology Program will provide leadership and direction for the MCC in the furtherance of its vision and mission: to serve Virginia and the nation as an internationally recognized center of excellence in cancer research, prevention and control, patient care and education dedicated to improving the quality of human life by eliminating suffering and death through development and delivery of more effective means for the detection, treatment, prevention, control and ultimate cure of cancer.
The Program Leader will oversee the programmatic growth and cohesiveness of the program for the MCC . This position is responsible for identifying opportunities for strategic growth and development to facilitate interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary cancer research, between and within programs, so as to harness the considerable intellectual talent and scientific resources of VCU and focus them on solving the nation’s cancer problem. The faculty member will also support the department with teaching responsibilities at the graduate level and mentoring students and/or trainees as appropriate.
As the program leader for the Cancer Biology program, the over-arching responsibilities for this position include the following:
• Conceiving and formulating the overall theme and specific aims of the CCSG program based on leading edge areas of cancer research.
• Governing the program by leading its members with common scientific interests to collaborate towards reducing to practice the different program aims.
• Organizing new member orientation and mentorship of junior faculty members, suggesting senior member mentors, and steering new members to pilot project and other funding mechanisms to assure viability as independent researchers.
• Participating in strategic planning and recruitment activities for the MCC through Executive and Governance Committees.
• Promoting and coordinating initiatives to foster and facilitate intra and inter-programmatic collaboration, especially across disciplines.
• Promoting research educational activities that include such activities as Center-wide symposia, retreats, poster sessions, training programs, and standard and special courses in the various schools of the institution.
• Reviewing and interviewing potential program members to understand their area of cancer research and identify potential collaborations, as part of the application process for Cancer Center membership.
• Associate to Full Professor; Academic appointment with tenure, or tenure-track position
• Terminal degree in basic, translational, or clinical sciences
• Extensive cancer relevant research experience
• Proven extramural funding track record
• Extensive publication experience
• Proven trainee and faculty mentorship skills
• Track record working in multi-disciplinary fields
• Experience in, and coordination of, collaborative grants and managing trans-disciplinary research
• Experience with MPI, P01 and/or SPORE grant applications
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Proven leadership, relationship building, and strong communication skills
• Experience working in a matrix environment within academic medicine
• Proven success in collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams
Date Posted 09/23/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 01/05/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates must submit an application, diversity statement & CV at www.vcujobs.com. The search committee will review applications until the position is filled, but priority will be given to complete applications received by December 20, 2020.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Further questions can be directed to Said Sebti, Ph.D., Associate Director, Basic Research (c/o Andrea Wade, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Posted Salary Commensurate with experience Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/100781 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond