Job Code/Title PD - Post Doctoral Position Number P00001 Working Title Postdoc Fellow Department Mathematical Sciences Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $55,000 Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Research Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant. Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Description of the Job
The Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics at Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) seek a postdoctoral fellow for the NSF -funded project Mathematics Graduate Teaching Assistant Professional Development Focused on Implementation of Evidence-based Teaching Practices ( DUE -2013422).
The project aims to serve the national interest by preparing mathematics graduate teaching assistants (MGTAs) to implement teaching practices designed to improve the success of students in undergraduate mathematics courses. The project will develop a multi-year professional development program focused on engaged learning, inclusive teaching, and equity ( ELITE -PD). This is a collaborative project that will be implemented at Oregon State University ( OSU ), Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ), and San Diego State University ( SDSU ). As a result, the project will have multiple contexts for examining the impact of the professional development on MGTA teaching attitudes and practices, as well as on the success of the undergraduates in the MGTAs’ classes. The project will compare outcomes at the three institutions to generate new knowledge about MGTA professional development, to explore what works in which contexts, and to develop an explicit theory of change related to MGTAs’ teaching practices.
The postdoctoral fellow will play an integral role in collaboratively developing the ELITE -PD program and engaging in data collection and analysis. Duties include, but are not limited to:
● Regularly collaborating, both in person and virtually, with members of the research team at OSU, VCU, and SDSU ;
● Conducting semi-structured interviews with graduate students and department faculty and analyzing the interview data;
● Administering surveys from the X- PIPS -M suite and analyzing the survey data;
● Conducting classroom observations using the EQUIP observation tool and analyzing the observation data;
● Presenting results at conferences, symposiums or similar events.
● Teaching graduate courses focused on active learning, inclusive teaching, and equity as part of the ELITE -PD program;
The primary responsibility of the postdoctoral fellow will be conducting mathematics education research; however, this position also involves teaching up to 1 course per semester that is part of the ELITE -PD program. Candidates for these positions should have completed their PhD in mathematics, education, or a related field. A masters in mathematics or a closely related field is required in order to teach graduate courses in the department.
This is a two-year position with the expectation of working in person at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA (dependent upon state and university guidance related to COVID -19). A start date of June 1, 2021 is preferred but flexible (through the summer of 2021). The postdoctoral scholar will receive a $55,000 yearly salary plus benefits (with a potential raise during the second year) and travel reimbursement during the second year for presenting at conferences.
As a note, this is a collaborative grant and a second postdoctoral position is available at Oregon State University. If you are interested in working at either institution, please submit an application to both job advertisements. However, you may use the same materials for both applications.
● A PhD. in mathematics, education, or a related field.
● A masters in mathematics or closely related field.
● Experience in conducting quantitative and/or qualitative educational research.
o Quantitative research might include calculating descriptive statistics, hypothesis testing, factor analysis, hierarchical linear modeling, etc.
o Qualitative research might include conducting thematic analysis, grounded theory, inductive/deductive theory development, etc.
● The ability to assume leadership responsibilities in conducting educational research.
● The ability to work in a collaborative research team in a collegial fashion.
● Experience conducting semi-structured interviews, working with the X- PIPS -M survey suite, and/or using the EQUIP observation tool.
● Lived experience and/or service that informs worldviews and/or perspectives about minority group status, to include race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, religion, and disability.
● Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching mathematics using active, inclusive, and equitable teaching practices.
Job Open Date 10/29/2020 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications must submitted through the official university job site at www.vcujobs.com. Applications should include a curriculum vita/resume and a letter of application describing 1) experience implementing active, inclusive, and equitable teaching practices and 2) research experience in education (include information on qualitative and/or quantitative research experience). In addition, candidates shall provide three professional and/or academic letters of reference.
For best consideration, please apply by December 18, 2020.
Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101428 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you find out about this position?
- ○ Alumni association magazine
- ○ Chronicle of Higher Education
- ○ Community event
- ○ Email notification
- ○ HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- ○ Higher education publication
- ○ Internal Recruiter
- ○ Job fair
- ○ Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- ○ Listserv
- ○ Newspaper
- ○ Professional association/journal
- ○ Referred by person/employee
- ○ Search firm notification
- ○ VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- ○ Other
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3