Senior Library Specialist - (STA006470)
Description of Research Materials Procurement
M.D. Anderson Library's Research Materials Procurement (RMP) department handles purchasing and payment for library materials and is also the home of interlibrary loan services. Work will include supervision and training of student employees, placing orders for library materials both for purchase and through ILL, as well as receiving incoming materials, creating vouchers to pay invoices, assisting with the preparation of financial reports, and working with accounts payable as needed to address financial issues, set up and maintain vendors, and other tasks as needed. RMP staff uses a variety of software in their daily work, including the Alma library services platform, ILLiad ILL management system, PeopleSoft, MS Office Suite, and other software as needed. The ability to rapidly learn new software and adapt to changing technologies is essential to success in this position. Library purchasing and scholarly materials are rapidly evolving areas, and the person in this position will need the ability to adapt to changing priorities, technologies, and routines. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, possess a positive attitude, and be able to adapt their work style to the volume and nature of work on a given day.
This position is located in the Research Materials Procurement (RMP) department at the M.D. Anderson Library on UH's main campus. The hours of work are M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Coordinates the daily operations of a library function or program such as serial ordering, reference processing, special collections, electronic publications, information services, and so forth.
- Performs reference work using subject expertise or general resource material.
- Trains and coordinates the work activities of library specialists, library assistants, and/or student workers.
- Interprets and teaches the use of basic indexes, directories, guides, files, and catalogs.
- Receives and processes reserves and library loan requests.
- Compiles book lists and bibliographies; reviews books and other material in areas of subject expertise.
- Participates in the preparation, maintenance, and updating of policies and procedures for the functional area.
- May teach electronic research classes to new and experienced library users.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Specific duties of this position:
- Place orders for book and other library materials
- Process incoming Interlibrary Loan requests
- Process incoming purchased and borrowed materials
- Create vouchers for payment of invoices
- Prepare financial reports
- Assist with financial and record keeping as needed
- Provide excellent customer service in person, via telephone, and via email
- Contact other libraries when necessary
- Troubleshoot minor system errors and patron issues
- Work with University Accounts Payable to set up vendors, process payments, and solve problems
- Work with vendors when necessary to request invoices, make payments, or resolve financial issues
- Assist with other related duties as necessary
Associates and 1 year experience
Requires the ability and knowledge for analysis and interpretation of procedures, policies and practices attainable through specific education and/or training programs in a specialty or technical field. Advanced vocational or electronic skills or a basic knowledge of a professional field is required. An Associate's degree or certification/licensing in a technical specialty program of over 18 months and up to 3 years duration are characteristic of this field. Requires a minimum of one (1) year of directly job-related experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment
- Ability to balance multiple projects with a daily workload
- Ability to learn new technologies
Experience will be considered in lieu of education
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Librarians & Library Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston