Dean, Fowler College of Business
San Diego State University (SDSU) seeks a visionary academic leader to serve as the Thomas and Evelyn Page Dean of the Fowler College of Business. The Dean will advance academic excellence in teaching and research, promote student success, cultivate connections with the business community, and foster equity and inclusion.
The Fowler College of Business is the recipient of one of the largest endowment gifts in the history of the university from Ron and Alexis Fowler, which uniquely positions the college to build on its successes and reach new heights. Furthermore, the university has broken ground on SDSU Mission Valley, the once-in-a-generation development of a world-class university campus, innovation district, and multi-use stadium to serve higher education, the public good, and the community’s goals and aspirations, which complement the existing campuses in central San Diego and Imperial Valley.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a Top 50 national Undergraduate Public Business Program for 2021, the Fowler College of Business is composed of the Charles W. Lamden School of Accountancy and the departments of Finance, Management, Management Information Systems, and Marketing. The college and its Lamden School of Accountancy are both accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). The college has 6,332 students in various undergraduate degree programs, including its programs in international business and entrepreneurship which was ranked among the top 15 public undergraduate programs, and a growing online general business program. It also offers graduate programs leading to the MBA, Sports MBA, and MS in Accountancy, Management Information Systems, Cybersecurity Management, Global Business Development, and MSBA with a concentration in Financial and Tax Planning. The Fowler College prides itself on having a dedicated staff, world-renowned scholars, and committed educators who are all focused on student success and the development of ethical global business leaders and entrepreneurs.
Active centers and institutes in the college include: the Leonard Lavin Entrepreneurial Management Center, the Center for International Business Education and Research and its affiliated Center for Advancing Global Business, the Corporate Governance Institute, the Center for Integrated Marketing Communications, the Corky McMillin Center for Real Estate, and the Institute for Inclusiveness & Diversity in Organizations. The Financial Markets Lab (housing 12 Bloomberg Terminals) and the Artificial Intelligence Lab are also housed within the college.
Reporting to the Provost, the Thomas and Evelyn Page Dean of the Fowler College of Business is the chief administrative officer of the college charged with aligning the college’s vision with the strategic direction of the university and supporting a positive, equitable and inclusive environment for faculty, staff, and students. The Dean is responsible for charting the educational and professional missions of the college and directing and overseeing the college’s educational programs, including overseeing the college’s AACSB Accreditation. The Dean’s responsibilities also include representing the college and forging strong relationships with internal university constituents and the business community, and overseeing the college budget, while advocating for and generating additional resources. The Dean is a member of the SDSU Academic Deans’ Council and also works closely with a College Advisory Board composed of renowned business leaders who help guide and support the college and Dean.
Ranked 65 among public universities in the U. S. News & World Report’s ranking for 2021 Best Colleges, San Diego State University is a Hispanic-Serving Institution residing on Kumeyaay land near the national border, offering bachelor’s degrees in 97 areas, master’s degrees in 84 areas, and doctorates in 21 areas, as well as programs at regional microsites and around the globe. SDSU is ranked 35 nationwide for ethnic diversity, and roughly 54% of the university’s undergraduates and graduates are students from historically marginalized populations. In fiscal year 2019-20, SDSU faculty secured $144.4 million in research grant funding and university gift commitments totaled more than $127 million.
- Earned doctoral degree and a record of academic excellence that merits appointment as a tenured full professor in a department within the Fowler College of Business
- Minimum of three years academic administrative experience
- Ability to set and achieve visionary goals that align with the university’s strategic direction, expand the college’s international initiatives, and elevate the College’s global reputation
- Proven record in fundraising and revenue generating activities
- Ability to build relations with alumni and cultivate partnerships with the business community
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting student success through undergraduate and graduate education
- Demonstrated commitment to faculty excellence, supporting and promoting innovative culturally-responsive teaching and impactful academic research
- Excellent leadership, communication, relationship building, and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to shared governance with the ability to build consensus and promote collegiality among an increasingly diverse workforce
- Ability to engage and work collaboratively with the wider university community
- Ability to foster equity, diversity, and inclusion, with an ability to work effectively in a multicultural campus and community setting
Application and Search Process
For additional information and to apply for this position please
Upon application, applicants will be prompted to provide basic
contact information, a letter of interest, a C.V., and a statement
detailing their commitment and/or contributions to equity,
diversity, and inclusion through teaching, research and/or service.
The position will remain open until filled; however, to ensure full
consideration, applications must be received by Friday, January 29,
2021. Employment of the selected candidate is anticipated to
commence by the start of the Fall 2021 semester, with a preferred
starting date of July 1, 2021.
Confidential inquiries and nominations are invited. Please contact:
Thom Harpole, Director
Center for Human Resources
San Diego State University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons based on race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
After a contingent offer of employment is made, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed. Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the background check. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of the applicant or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for this position.
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Diego
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Diego
- Academic Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Diego
- Deans Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in San Diego