Digital Communications Specialist
University of La Verne
Digital Communications Specialist
Job Description Summary:
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you're passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
Serving as the voice of the university's social media and digital presence, the digital communications specialist plans and delivers consistent, unified messaging across all online platforms, including the La Verne website, to support strategic initiatives such as public relations and enrollment marketing campaigns. Reporting to the director of media and public relations in the Office of Strategic Communications (OSC), this position will also craft a strong analytics framework for the university's social media properties using integrated and third-party tracking software and maintain best practices in establishing new social media channels. The digital communications specialist will possess strong writing, editing, and organizational skills in addition to a working knowledge of HTML.
- Maintain a social media content calendar. Create original social media posts and campaigns. Curate social media posts from outside sources when appropriate.
- Engage audiences by responding to inquiries, answering questions, and tagging relevant accounts. When needed, route questions to appropriate members of the university community for follow up. Listen for new trends and topics of conversation.
- Monitor social media health by tracking follower and engagement growth. Create analytics reports for OSC team and use analytisc to inform strategy and decision making.
- Research and recommend emerging technologies and social media channels to best position the university with its online audience.
- Audit social media accounts to provide brand consistency. Maintain social media best practices document for campus community. Ensure all departments and campuses adhere to social media policy and best practices through training and support.
- Coordinate with public relations office and associate vice president on all crisis communications as well as promotion of press releases, news, and features.
- Coordinate with enrollment communications, advertising, and digital communications departments to support recruitment marketing campaigns and initiatives. Assist with the creation of marketing materials, emails, and digital campaign assets as needed.
- Provide assistance with creating and optimizing website content, including program descriptions, lead generation pages, and additional content as needed, to support search engine marketing efforts.
- Be a culturally competent employee who attends/completes mandatory diversity and inclusivity trainings as provided by the university.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, technology, or related fields.
- 1 year of experience with social media marketing and management, preferably with Face book, Linked In, Twitter, and lnstagram.
- Excellent communication, verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and organizational skills.
- Cultural competence and the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- Best practices in social media usage and planning.
- Knowledge of web content management systems (CMS) and customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO) best practices.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite for creating and delivering web content.
- Experience with WordPress sites and associated media
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
Located in Southern California, the University of La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of students, preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to lifelong learning across the liberal arts and professional programs. The academic units of the not-for-profit university include the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the LaFetra College of Education, and the College of Law. The university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs, including degree programs tailored for working adults. The university's central campus is located 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the historic Old Town section of La Verne, a city with a population of approximately 35,000 at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The university also has eight regional campuses throughout California and the College of Law campus in Ontario, California. The university is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral Institution with moderate research activity. Core values are reflected throughout all curricular and co-curricular programs, its emphasis on close professor-student interaction, personal support of its students, and its diversity.
The University of La Verne prides itself in being reflective of the diversity of Southern California. Approximately 80 percent of its nearly 8,500 students come from diverse backgrounds and the U.S. Department of Education has designated the university as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). With 80,000 alumni, the university fulfills a critical community function in educating students from underserved populations, many of whom are the first generation in their family to attend college.
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation