Manager of Information Security, Office of Information Technology
PRIMARY DUTY: The Manager of Information Security will be instrumental in deploying, operating, and scaling a high-performance network that provides world-class availability and security. This position will challenge your ability to blend new technology with industry standard security best practices to protect the network from internal and external threats.
- Under the general direction of, and reporting to, the AVP – Information Technology, the Manager of Information Security is responsible for the development and delivery of a comprehensive Information security program for Northwest Missouri University.
- Develop, maintain, implement, and evaluate security policies, practices, standards, systems and procedures; develop and maintain a written information security plan and security architecture documentation.
- Investigate possible violations of computer and network security and coordinate response to security.
- Develop procedures to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility of data and software. Work closely with Managers of IT Infrastructure, Enterprise Applications and Technology services units on the identification and implementation of appropriate security procedures, software, and hardware.
- Direct and coordinate the development and execution of security awareness programs to educate the campus community on the safe and ethical use of information technology resources.
- Keep abreast of changes to existing and proposed State and Federal legislation and regulatory laws pertaining to information system security and privacy. Keeps management aware of the regulatory changes that will affect information privacy, information processing and/or security standards and techniques.
- Advise management periodically on status of information security and confidentiality conditions including regulatory and standards compliance, problem areas and recommended enhancements on security issues and/or events.
- Research external trusted intelligence sources and leverage knowledge to detect events of interest. Assist with malware and forensic investigations. In conjunction with other IT staff, investigate, recommend, and authorize security tests or security scans (i.e. vulnerability, penetration) affecting information systems resources.
- Evaluate proposed vendors, products, and processes for compliance with Northwest’s information security policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or combination of education and experience
Experience: Minimum of five years of experience in the field of information security in at least two of the following areas: firewall access control technologies, risk management, vulnerability management, identity management, Windows or Unix security, Cloud Security, encryption technologies, or endpoint security controls; Three years of experience in the area of information technology in one of the following areas: AWS/Azure/OCI cloud engineering/automation, systems engineering, networking, applications engineering, databases, Dev-Ops technologies or systems' administration
Skills: Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and a desire to learn; be a self-starter with a can-do attitude; excellent customer relationships skills; excellent communication skills; ability to handle sensitive information; good verbal and written skills, team player.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position will work the normal hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with an hour lunch break. This position may be flexible with the hours worked to include nights and weekends when needed.
EQUIPMENT/MATERIALS USED: Computers and software
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
COMMUNITY: Northwest Missouri State University is located in Maryville, Missouri, a community of 12,000 with a diverse economy, and a strong industrial base. Maryville is located 45 miles north of St. Joseph, Missouri and 90 miles north of Kansas City, Missouri. For more information visit the website at www.maryville.org.
UNIVERSITY: With an enrollment of more than 7,200 students, Northwest is a coeducational, primarily residential four-year university that offers a broad range of undergraduate and selected graduate programs on its Maryville campus as well as its Northwest-Kansas City location at the Northland Innovation Center and through Northwest Online.
Founded in 1905, Northwest places a high emphasis on profession-based learning to help graduates get a jumpstart on their careers. Students have opportunities to build their résumés with experiences on campus in nearly every area of study, including the Horace Mann Laboratory School, National Public Radio affiliate KXCV, the R.T. Wright Farm, Mozingo Outdoor Education Recreation Area or Knacktive, a student-driven integrated digital marketing communications agency.
The University is a national model for student success and career placement. In addition, 96 percent of Northwest bachelor’s degree earners and 99 percent of master’s degree earners secure employment or continue their education within six months of graduation, according to the most recent data. Zippia, a career website, names Northwest the best college in Missouri for getting a job.
Furthermore, its vibrant and diverse learning community offers more than 150 student organizations, and textbooks and a laptop are included in tuition, which is among the lowest in the nation, saving students an estimated $7,200 over four years. Northwest also offers 1,200 student employment positions, allowing students to build professional skills through its internationally benchmarked student employment program. Designated the Missouri Arboretum, the Northwest campus was named one of the “50 Most Amazing University Botanical Gardens and Arboretums in the U.S.”
For more information about Northwest and its performance, visit www.nwmissouri.edu.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until the position is filled
DATE AVAILABLE: December 2020
TO APPLY: Please fill out a Northwest application online by clicking http://agency.governmentjobs.com/nwmissouri/default.cfm to reach our employment opportunities listing. You will also need to submit a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three references in order for your application materials to be complete. Please contact the Office of Human Resources at 660-562-1127 or email email@example.com for more information.