Assistant Professor of Studio Art /Sculpture and Three-Dimensional Media
The Department of Art & Design in the College of the Arts seeks applicants for a tenure track assistant professor faculty position beginning August 1, 2021. The selected candidate will be responsible for teaching courses in the candidate’s area of expertise, maintaining scholarly productivity, and participating in service at the department, college, and university levels.
Valdosta State University is proud to have a highly diverse student body, and we are seeking to recruit and retain outstanding candidates who exhibit a clear commitment to diversity and inclusion and who will enhance the diversity of our faculty and staff.
For more information, contact Dr. Bruce Mackh, Department Head, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 229-333-5835.
Teaching undergraduate courses in Sculpture and Three-Dimensional Media for majors and possibly teaching other degree program courses or non-major courses offered in general education; standard service duties such as facilities and resource management and maintenance, program development, student mentoring; maintaining scholarly productivity; and participation on department, college, and university committees.
- Master of Fine Arts degree at the time of appointment in Sculpture and Three-Dimensional Media;
- Proficient in traditional and contemporary practices, with an ability to combine conceptual and technical aspects of those disciplines;
- Ability to teach courses outside of Sculpture and Three-Dimensional Media such as studio foundations and general education courses;
- Evidence of a developing record of creative work, research, and exhibitions;
- Evidence of an ongoing contribution to the contemporary discourse of fine art;
- Ability to integrate technology into the traditional practice of Sculpture and Three-Dimensional Media;
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and learning, as well as scholarship;
- Demonstrated commitment to access, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A record of effective teaching appropriate to the applicant’s career stage;
- College level teaching experience;
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative setting;
- A record of mentoring students of diverse backgrounds;
- Evidence of contributions or service to the development of current or previous department and or university.
The Department of Art & Design offers four comprehensive undergraduate degree programs and opportunities designed to prepare students for professional involvement in a 21st century environment. In addition to traditional studio programs such as Drawing, Painting, Ceramics and Sculpture, the department also offers instruction in Photography (traditional & digital), Art Education, Interior Design, Art History, and electronic media such as Animation, Graphic Design and Web Design. Twenty-one dedicated art faculty-mentors provide a dynamic and challenging learning experience to over 200 undergraduate majors in the department. Studio facilities, equipment & technologies are constantly upgraded, affording our students the most current experiences in the classroom and studio environment. VSU is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). For more information, please visit https://www.valdosta.edu/colleges/arts/art/
The College of the Arts includes the Department of Art & Design, the Department of Music, and the Department of Communication Arts (Communication, Emergent Media, Mass Media, Public Relations, Theatre & Dance). The College of the Arts is also home to the award-winning Valdosta Symphony Orchestra and the Peach State Summer Theatre, designated as the Official Musical Theatre of the State of Georgia. VSU is accredited by NASAD, NASM, and NAST. With nearly 90 faculty members and approximately 1,100 students, the College offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. For more information, https://www.valdosta.edu/coa
Valdosta State University, founded in 1906, VSU is a comprehensive university with a student enrollment of approximately 12,500. The city of Valdosta is located just north of the Florida state line on Interstate 75, is served by a regional airport, and is within a two-hour drive of Jacksonville and Tallahassee, Florida. For more information, visit https://www.valdosta.edu and for more information about the community visit https://www.valdostachamber.com.
Online application is required and should be submitted by January 4, 2021. Valdosta State University is an Equal Opportunity educational institution and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including, but not limited to, minorities, and individuals with disabilities. Valdosta State University has a non-discrimination policy that includes sex, race, color, sexual orientation, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability, and veteran status.