Assistant Professor of Physical Geography
The Department of Geography at the University of Colorado Boulder encourages applications for a tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor level in Physical Geography. The appointment begins in August 2021.
We are looking to hire a physical geographer who pursues societally relevant questions that help us better understand environmental and Earth systems, including how they are transformed by human-induced or other disturbances. Specific areas of research include, but are not limited to, soil science, biogeography, climatology, watershed science, and cryosphere science. The applicant should have training and experience in relevant research methods such as field methods, modeling, or remote sensing. As part of the normal teaching load of three courses per year, the successful candidate will rotate regularly into a large introductory physical geography class as well as upper-division classes in the candidate’s area of expertise. The successful candidate is expected to show promise in raising external research funding and will demonstrate success in supporting diversity and inclusive excellence through research, teaching, mentoring, or sponsoring relevant initiatives related to their scholarship or work.
Alternative formats of the ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the ADA coordinator at HR-ADA@colorado.edu.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Department of Geography is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive academic culture. As we strive to do our part in implementing the CU Boulder campus’ Inclusive, Diversity and Excellence in Academics plan , we embrace the goal of expanding access and participation of diverse and underrepresented communities in Earth science. Based on our departmental, university goals, and dedication to diversity and inclusive excellence, we particularly welcome applications from candidates whose background/expertise and commitment reflect this work within and among communities that are historically underrepresented in earth and environmental sciences.
We are a highly ranked department with a very strong graduate program and faculty who conduct research in physical geography, human geography, environment-society relations, and GIScience. The department is committed to an inclusive climate and anti-racist practice. In 2020, out of 23 tenured/tenure-track faculty, 10 are women and 6 identify as racial or ethnic minorities.
See http://geography.colorado.edu for more information about the geography department at CU.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Teach undergraduate courses in areas of physical geography at both introductory (e.g. GEOG 1001 and GEOG 1011 Environmental Systems) and upper division levels according to the selected candidate’s expertise; and develop a graduate level course in an area of specialty.
- Periodically teach Seminars and Special Topics, and mentor Independent Study as needed.
- Advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
- Develop a research program which includes extramural sources of funds and publishing in peer-reviewed national and international journals.
- Participate in University, College, and Department governance and service; participate in professional service and outreach activities.
What You Should Know
- This is a full-time, 100% FTE, 9-month tenure-track position.
- The appointment begins in August 2021.
What We Can Offer
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Accomplished. Be Impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- PhD in Geography, Geoscience, Environmental Science or closely related field by first day of employment.
What You Will Need
- Ability to teach introductory and advanced courses in Physical Geography.
- Potential to publish the results of original research in peer-reviewed journals.
- Potential to develop an externally funded research program.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Interest and ability to strengthen the department’s commitment to increasing diversity, equity and inclusion in the academy.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Interest and expertise in areas that complement the department’s existing strength.
- Ability to integrate current methods and techniques in research and teaching.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement: The 1-2 page statement should articulate how their efforts or experience would help the department and campus foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
- Professional Publications: up to three relevant reprints of publications uploaded as a single PDF.
- Statement Describing Research Related Goals: 1-2 page statement of research plans and effectiveness
- Statement Describing Teaching Related Goals: 1-2 page statement of teaching plans and effectiveness
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for three references and we will request letters of recommendation and additional materials if needed, as the search progresses.
Full consideration for applications received by December 18 2020.
For further information and inquiries, please contact the chair of the search committee, Professor Holly Barnard, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Holly Barnard
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder