Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F66830 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Deputy Director School/Unit Massey Cancer Center Department Massey Cancer Center Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the School of Medicine is to provide preeminent education to physicians and scientists in order to improve the quality of health care for humanity. Through innovative, scholarly activity and a diverse educational context, the School seeks to create and apply new knowledge, and to provide and continuously improve systems of medical and science education. Furthermore, it is our mission to develop more effective health care practices to address the needs of the diverse populations we serve, and to provide distinguished leadership in the advancement of medicine and science.
The mission of the Massey Cancer Center is to serve as a comprehensive center of excellence in cancer research, prevention and control, patient care and education. Our guiding principles are to make important discoveries about cancer and to translate these discoveries rapidly into better prevention, detection, treatment and control of cancer to enhance the quality of life of all individuals affected by cancer.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We invite you to apply for the position of Deputy Director of the Massey Cancer Center. The purpose of the Deputy Director role is to serve as the second in command to the Center Director and to provide leadership and direction with other members of the senior leadership team for the Center, comprising the Executive Committee for Massey Cancer Center ( MCC ) in the furtherance of the mission to improve the lives of all Virginians by delivering cutting-edge cancer care through patient-centered prevention and treatment; high-impact, innovative research; community input and engagement; and education and training of the next generation of researchers and healthcare professionals. The Deputy Director is charged with working with the Associate Directors, Program Leaders, Shared Resource Leaders and members to implement the strategic plans and facilitate the integration of basic, translational, clinical and cancer control research. The Deputy Director is responsible for identifying opportunities for strategic growth and development to facilitate interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary cancer research so as to harness the considerable intellectual talent and scientific resources of VCU and focus them on solving the nation’s cancer problem.
• Serves as second in command to the Massey Cancer Center Director and plays a major role in overall research planning and development of the Center
• Plays a significant role in ensuring all Center activities are in line with the mission, vision, core values, strategic goals, and strategies to achieve those goals
• Leads key strategic activities as assigned by the Director (e.g., the development of strategic action plans and metrics for short- and long-term goals)
• Works with Massey Director, Associate Directors and Program Leaders to determine research direction by identifying and prioritize scientific priorities and initiatives
• Assists Director with facilitating the integration of basic, translational, clinical and cancer control research
• Facilitates integration among members and senior leaders to promote collaborations leading to translation of science into clinical arena
• Works collaboratively with cancer service line leaders to build clinical research infrastructure within the hospital setting
• Leads development of CCSG renewal and charged with developing comprehensive strategy.
• Provides input to Director on research related budgetary and fiscal priorities and allocation of resources
• Serves as a leader in scientific faculty recruitments
• Assists with setting the agenda for Sr. Leadership meetings (e.g., Executive Committee and other meetings) serves as Chair in absence of Director
• Sets agenda and serves as the chair of the Scientific Steering Committee
• Serves as the chair of the Space Committee and responsible for overall development of space plan and review
• Actively participate in fund raising activities, help identify opportunities, and have recurring meetings with development officers to cultivate prospective donors.
• Responsible for reviewing endowments (chairs, professorships, scholars) and providing recommendations to the Massey Director on reappointments
• Terminal degree
• Demonstrable leadership experience within a Cancer Center
• Sr. Academic level scientist with prior history of tenure track position
• Extramural funding track record
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment todo so as a faculty member at VCU
• At least 3 years at the level of Associate Director leadership or above at a Cancer Center
• Experience with clinical trials
• MD or MD/PhD
• Extensive publication record
• Extensive evidence of extramural funding
• Extensive cancer basic, translational and clinical research experience
Date Posted 11/06/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 10/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates must submit an application, diversity statement & CV at www.vcujobs.com.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Commensurate with experience Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/101530 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3