Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics, 1 Year Full-Time Term Appointment
The Mathematics Department at the College of Saint Benedict and
Saint John’s University invites applications for a one-year,
full-time term position as Visiting Assistant Professor of
Mathematics, beginning August 2021.
The Mathematics Department is a collegial and engaged team of twelve teacher-scholars with a broad range of specializations. The mission of the Mathematics Department is to create a supportive learning community that is intellectually challenging to undergraduate students and faculty. Small class sizes of 15--29 students and the Mathematics Department’s newly renovated teaching space support our mission. Please see the following website for more information about our curriculum and department. https://csbsju.edu/mathematics.
The College of Saint Benedict (CSB), a liberal arts college for women, and Saint John's University (SJU), a liberal arts college for men, are located in the central lakes area of Minnesota, surrounded by more than 3,000 acres of pristine forests, prairies, and lakes. The campuses are minutes away from St. Cloud, an increasingly diverse regional center with a population of over 100,000, and 70 miles from Minneapolis and St. Paul. Some CSB/SJU faculty and staff choose to reside locally, while others commute from the Twin Cities. Both St. Cloud and the Twin Cities offer a wide range of fine arts, cultural, dining, recreational, and sporting opportunities.
CSB/SJU are Catholic colleges in the Benedictine tradition enlivened by values of community, hospitality, stewardship, and justice. The schools are dedicated to cultivating an equitable, inclusive community founded on respect for all persons. Students, staff and faculty from many diverse belief systems and backgrounds collectively bring a rich dimension to the academic, cultural, and religious experience at CSB/SJU. We welcome faculty who devote themselves with passion and integrity to their disciplines and to a transformative education of their students. Please view our brochure regarding Higher Education in the Catholic and Benedictine Tradition.
With a total enrollment of approximately 3,300 students, faculty members develop relationships with students in small classroom settings and have opportunities to work closely with students on research projects, experiential learning experiences, and study abroad programs. Recent initiatives to create a dynamic general education curriculum and to develop plans for a new teaching and learning center demonstrate strong institutional support for faculty development. For further information, see http://www.csbsju.edu.
Institutional Commitment to Diversity
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University believe that an excellent liberal arts education requires an understanding and appreciation of cultural difference. Please view our Institutional Statement on Diversity.
CSB/SJU offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program.
- Teach three undergraduate courses per semester in calculus, differential equations or other areas based upon departmental needs.
- Assist in advising students.
- Engage in department meetings and service.
- A PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field by the start of Fall 2021
- Ability to teach effectively at the undergraduate level
- Interest in teaching at an undergraduate institution
- Interest in research-informed and active teaching methods
- Evidence of good communication and organizational skills
- Ability to engage and connect with students
- Evidence of flexibility and adaptability
- Evidence of working with others in a collaborative environment
- Commitment to the liberal arts
- Commitment to inclusive teaching practices and to equity, inclusion, and diversity in working with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
To view the posting and apply online, please visit our employment opportunities webpage at http://employment.csbsju.edu. Candidates are asked to complete the faculty application and to submit the following application materials:
- Letter of application
- A thoughtful statement of your teaching philosophy that addresses your ability to teach at the undergraduate level and your support for inclusivity for all students in the classroom.
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for at least three professional references, two of which address your potential as a teacher.
- Unofficial graduate school transcript(s); official copy required upon hire
The College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employers.