Assistant Vice President/Controller
Simpson College invites applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Vice President/Controller.
The Assistant Vice President/Controller reports to the Vice President for Business and Finance and is responsible for the following:
- Financial statement preparation and financial reporting including general ledger maintenance, monthly reconciliations and preparation and review of journal entries
- All aspects of the annual financial and compliance audit including preparation of GAAP financial statements and serving as liaison to the firm performing the audit
- Preparation and filing of information returns (IRS 990 and 5500) and other external reporting and filing
- Maintenance of investment accounts and documentation
- Assisting with the development, implementation and monitoring of accounting policies, procedures, and internal control mechanisms
- Assisting with preparation and monitoring of the College operating budget
- Working with grant funded areas of the College to ensure grant compliance
- Supervise accounting staff members and provide oversight of all accounting functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA in accounting and five+ years of experience with progressive financial, budget and reporting or audit experience. A CPA designation is strongly preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Experience preparing annual GAAP financial statements.
- Experience working with external auditors.
- Ability to prioritize multiple functions and activities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Advanced proficiency with accounting systems and Windows-based software packages including spreadsheets, word processing, and presentation applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels in the organization.
Simpson College is a four-year private college based in the liberal arts and sciences; and is affiliated with the United Methodist Church. The main campus is twelve miles from Iowa’s capital city of Des Moines. For more information please consult our website at: www.simpson.edu
Simpson offers a competitive salary and excellent benefit package including tuition waiver benefits for employees and immediate family members. Interested candidates should send letter of interest, resume and the name of three professional references to: Human Resources, Simpson College, and 701 North C Street, Indianola, IA 50125 or by email to employment.@simpson.edu The review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
It is the policy and practice of Simpson College to provide equal educational and employment opportunities for all. We specifically encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities and individuals who are bilingual (Spanish) to apply. The entire Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at: http://simpson.edu/employment-opportunities/