POSITION SUMMARY: The counselor provides personal, academic and career counseling to participants enrolled in the University’s LEAD program. In addition, he/she provides academic advisement, financial literacy education, graduate school planning and other support services to students; identifies and conducts specific workshops, study groups and other interventions to enhance student performance. A primary focus of this position is to improve the retention of first generation and/or low-income students who become participants of the LEAD Program, a federally TRIO sponsored program. Evening and weekend hours may be required for special events.
Position is contingent on grant funding.
- Assist in identifying and/or selecting eligible students to participate in the Program
- Provide individual and group advisement, including academic advising, financial literacy education, academic skills and study strategies, career exploration, and personal support.
- Monitor students’ academic progress on an ongoing basis; recommends appropriate interventions to improve performance as needed and follows up to ensure that students are following through with recommended interventions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of program activities which will aid participating students in their academic, career, and personal success.
- Maintain up-to-date individual student records and reports; Assist with other data collection as required.
- Coordinate and supervise the LEAD peer mentor program.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the University.
- Prepare flyers for mass mailings, curricula reports, duplicate instructional materials, class handouts, forms for documentation of various program activities, contact notes and other materials for usage by participants.
- Assist with data management, surveys, and program evaluation.
- Assist with the preparation of annual reports, grant proposals and other documents
- Maintain social media presence and monthly newsletter for communication and educational needs of participants.
- Assist in organizing the scheduling of physical facilities, procurement of audio-visual aids, refreshments, and other materials, replication of materials and performance of necessary logistical or other tasks to ensure effective implementation of quality programming and activities.
- Attend appropriate TRIO conferences and trainings (state, regional) and/or University meetings and trainings as assigned to promote continuous professional growth.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Three or more years of experience in counseling, academic advising and/or other student- centered activities.
- Goal oriented and student centered.
- Strong communication, oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and conduct presentations for a variety of audiences.
- Grant writing and proposal development.
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality.
- Flexibility and able to travel periodically.
- Ability to work beyond eight hours day and on weekends when needed.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Able to handle several complex tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment; and work independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of the academic setting and financial aid process.
- Knowledge of diagnostic tests used to assess preparation for college study.
- Knowledge and experience in provision of academic support to “at risk” students.
- High proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher), CAMS, student databases (Blumen, Student Access).
No Direct reports
Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Psychology. Education or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum of three (3) years of experience in higher education providing direct services to students required.
Licenses or Certificates: None required.
Additional Requirements: A background and/or credit check will be required of the successful applicant. An official transcript (if applicable) and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required of the successful applic