Director, Business Operations
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-CyFair
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Located in suburban northwest Houston in the heart of the CyFair Community, the college provides a full range of offerings including unique programs in fire science technology, logistics management and sonography. Since opening our award winning campus in 2003, the college has experienced record growth and supports an exciting learning environment that brings together state-of-the-art technology and active, collaborative learning.
Campus address is 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX 77433.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Manages staff and/or resources to provide specific program or service offerings to internal or external stakeholders. The position is responsible for directing all activities related to a Campus departments’ Business Office operations including interfacing with a variety of LSC departments such as purchasing, accounts payable, auxiliary services, student services and financial aid, and other similar services and departments. Manages and coordinates long-term planning and the day-to-day budget management of multiple department/campus budgets.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for budget setup, accounts for all full-time budgeted positions, and balancing the final budget. Provides proactive and ongoing oversight of the location budget, including providing leadership for the annual budget development process, and training for managers
- Creates, implements and manages processes and procedures for effective business office operations, including Key Performance Indicators
- Ensures coordination of and compliance with all related Business Office and LSC processes and procedures
- Hires, trains, develops, and evaluates full and part-time staff
- Coordinates and monitors LSC purchases and ensures compliance with all policies and procedures
- Manages and negotiates, when appropriate, with outside providers to make sure they are in Lone Star’s best interest
- Conducts regular audits of the business operations and auxiliary services and makes timely recommendations
- Prepares accurate and appropriate reports for executive management
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of purchasing, budgeting, financial administration and reporting, and planning
- Attention to detail and the ability to successfully manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment. Excellent time-management skills
- Comprehensive computer technology skills to include Microsoft Office, PeopleSoft, performing complex queries, and constructing and running reports
- Expert analytical skills and strong business acumen and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent relationship building skills, and written and oral communication skills
- Excellent supervisory skills and the ability to work collaboratively and independently
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of educational institutions and how financial decisions and policies impact student operations and instructional areas
- Strong sense of urgency and timely results oriented
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- At times, may have to work weekends and untraditional hours if necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business or related field and 5 years of experience in accounting and/or finance, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience must include at least 3 years in a manager- or director-level role
- Master’s degree in business administration
- Certified Public Accountant
Hiring salary range is $74,380 - $85,537
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.