Database Administrator Senior
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office, University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Database Administrator Sr. will provide central control and technical support to the design, implementation and use of the College’s administrative & academic database environment. Serves as the database management systems expert. Manages and maintains all production and non-production databases. Responsible for standards and design of physical data storage, maintenance, access and security administration. Performs backup and recovery on Database Management Systems, configures database parameters, and prototype designs against logical data models, and defines data repository requirements, data dictionaries and warehousing requirements. This position optimizes database access and allocates/re-allocates database resources for optimum configuration, database performance and cost. Reviews, evaluates, designs, implements and maintains environment for all databases. Will also ensure the security, reliability, and integrity of databases. A member of a 24/7/365 global department with travel within the LSCS service area and the availability of on-call scheduling.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- May supervise other database staff, while overseeing the performance and stability of college databases
- Provides advanced database services to college databases
- Establishes standard procedures for the maintenance and performance of all college databases
- Primarily responsible for developing improvements and innovations to enhance performance.
- Manages and leads database migrations and upgrades
- Performs analysis and makes recommendations in areas that require a high level of technical competency
- Performs a variety of complex programming tasks, such as designing, documenting, and coding program logic
- Provides application support and enhancements to existing applications. Defines system requirements, priorities, and viable alternatives
- Stays current with technological developments in database systems and application support, best practices for database security and availability
- Maintains tasks, projects and activities in the IT system of Record (S-NOW)
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of professional field
- Requires an in-depth understanding of the purpose and operations outside own area is required
- Understands internal/external clients; may require awareness of external trends and best practices
- Recognizes problems or situations that are new or without clear precedent
- Ability to find solutions using a systematic, multi-step approach
- Ability to balance competing short- and long-term goals within one's area in alignment with the larger area's direction and objectives
- Must be able to actively seek help in gathering resources, solicit input, and use a variety of techniques to reach a solution
- Ability to lead groups in setting goals and monitors progress
- Ability to motivate others to action or addresses delicate situations, requiring tact and diplomacy using written and verbal skills. Identifies common themes, makes inferences and draws conclusions
- Promotes knowledge of own area to gain support for on-going and future initiatives.
- Ability to make decisions guided by specific policies and objectives within which frequent decisions are required
- Ability to assist in formulating recommendations on difficult problems
- Ability to make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity
- Ability to provide process and project leadership; may have formal supervisory responsibilities
- Ability to seek opportunities and set goals for own development
- Knowledge that work significantly affects a Department or large functional area within a School or Central Administrative area
- Ability to prioritize projects; follows departmental processes; Acts decisively in critical situations or to circumvent a potential problem
- Knows and follows standard operating procedures
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Advanced certification in area of responsibility
- Must have extensive experience in Oracle Linux Fundamentals, Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC), Oracle Data Guard, Fast-Start Failover, Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing Concepts and Dimensional Database Design Advance certification in area of responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Hiring salary range is $91,954 to $105,747.
Lone Star College provides a hiring salary range for all posted full-time non-faculty positions. Where your salary offer would fall in that range is determined by your related experience and education. Should you receive an offer of employment from Lone Star College, the resume submitted in the application process will be utilized to calculate your salary offer. The information outlined below will provide the Office of Human Resources everything needed to determine an accurate starting salary.
Your resume should provide a complete picture of your work experience. The resume should include the following information for each position listed:
- Length of time (specific months and years) of employment
- If the position was full time or part time
- If the position was paid or unpaid
- Unofficial transcript for highest earned degree
Additionally, any certifications listed as required or preferred in the Lone Star College job description should be included in the resume submitted.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment and excellent work/life balance. This includes a full comprehensive and competitive benefits package, a generous number of paid holidays and vacation days, wellness programs, tuition waiver, professional development opportunities and more.
Tentative start date: February 2021.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Shenandoah